Forum Index > Trail Talk > Barclay lk Break ins
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 3:31 pm 
RichP wrote:
I guess they decided to branch out from the Mtn Loop. Road tripping trailhead thieves.
Yeah, that's a bit surprising. There are certainly closer trailheads for those particular thieves to hit. Maybe too much competition on the MLH so they decided to go somewhere else that isn't already getting hit so hard.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm 
But seriously, who leaves credit cards in their car??? If people left nothing of value, car break-ins would stop.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm 
Gil wrote:
But seriously, who leaves credit cards in their car??? If people left nothing of value, car break-ins would stop.
But maybe not vandalism. Seems like last year the a-holes operating on the MLH got particularly nasty and were in some cases breaking ALL of the windows of a car or slashing all of the tires. I've been hit a few times where there was nothing of any monetary value in the car but that didn't stop them from taking pretty much everything they could get their hands on. Once they took a milk jug full of tap water. What do you think the street value of that is? I've had a detachable face plate from a stereo taken 2 different times, which is completely worthless by itself. I think maybe you're expecting rational behavior from irrational people.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:41 pm 
Gil wrote:
If people left nothing of value, car break-ins would stop.
No, sorry...never happen. The little bastards will always try anything to get something for free. It's their nature. The best deterrent is to lock 'em up, every one of 'em. Second to that would be vigilante, but that seems to be frowned upon....and well, truthfully, for good reason. But I SO tire of reading about all the trailhead break-ins, and precious little is done to stop it. What is the mindset there that allows/breeds this kind of behavior? ...sigh....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:08 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
But maybe not vandalism. Seems like last year the a-holes operating on the MLH got particularly nasty and were in some cases breaking ALL of the windows of a car or slashing all of the tires. I've been hit a few times where there was nothing of any monetary value in the car but that didn't stop them from taking pretty much everything they could get their hands on. Once they took a milk jug full of tap water. What do you think the street value of that is? I've had a detachable face plate from a stereo taken 2 different times, which is completely worthless by itself. I think maybe you're expecting rational behavior from irrational people.
We had our truck broken in to at the TH in the early 90's when we were doing Mt. Triumph (it's a long way in there). There was nothing of value in the vehicle, but they took Kascadio's clean jeans and cotton socks. He was incensed to not have those socks to put on after a very long day. . . AND they also cut the wires on the distributor cap. . . luckily we were able to patch it with tape from the first aid kit. This was when carrying a phone was somewhat novel (and we were still struggling with it philosophically), it would have been a death march to have to walk out of there. I would assume those people grew up and went to prison.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 am 
But maybe not vandalism.
Back in the 80s we had someone try to put a good sized rock through our windshield in the Granite Falls area. (but not on the MLH). They didn't break into the car, just smashed the windshield.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 am 
Back in the 80’s we had someone siphon all the gas out of our car at Colchuck TD and had to Coast back to 11worth on fumes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Gil

Gil
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 am 
Of course the problem is conditioning. They break into any vehicle because SOME people leave credit cards behind. If nobody left anything behind, the thieves would start looking elsewhere.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
gb

gb
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am 
Gil wrote:
Of course the problem is conditioning. They break into any vehicle because SOME people leave credit cards behind. If nobody left anything behind, the thieves would start looking elsewhere.
It also doesn't hurt that these fools got caught. More punishment and publicity probably goes a long ways if the perpetuators are bright enough to be aware. Speaking of vigilante actions when I hear of these things I envision hiding behind a tree with handgun and shooting not at the thieves but at their car - hitting the radiator, the windshield, the doors, etc. Just periodically - of course I don't own a gun. Still.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am 
Quote:
More punishment and publicity
MLH could use a couple of these...

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm 
I'm really impressed with the Hwy 20 thieves caught as described on the previous page and in the Methow Valley News. That sounds like a lot of work and I have to wonder if I'd hiked in that area, and if investigators had talked to me, would I have remembered a red Pontiac being at the th? Maybe since it's not a common hiking car. But still, well done to everyone involved.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
But maybe not vandalism.
Back in the 80s we had someone try to put a good sized rock through our windshield in the Granite Falls area. (but not on the MLH). They didn't break into the car, just smashed the windshield.
Maybe Gary Larson used to hike the MLH in the '80s as well. https://goo.gl/images/j3aRJU

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm 
Seems the break ins at Barclay stopped sinced they caught those turds that were hitting Rt 20. At least none of the WTA trip reports mentioned any trouble there.