Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
What part of secret do you not understand? Nor local gossip, which oddly enough often turns out to be true? Did you read Mikey's post about a sighting? Most folks I know in the Randle area would not report a sighting to any agency. They would not be taken seriously, and if they were, it would have to be confirmed. Are you familiar with the terrain and the brush in that part of the country?
Isn't that part of the state a hot bed for bigfoot sightings as well?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Look at what they did for Yellowstone.
This isn't Yellowstone. What have they done here?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am 
Ski wrote:
What have they done here?
What have we done here? Enjoy the heat, it will get a lot worse.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 am 
nice try. in other words, you got nothin'.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Merlin

Merlin
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 am 
Being my first post, I just submitted a pledge to 'post content that adds integrity to sight content' or something along those lines. Benefits of these predators primarily involves causing heard animals to stay on the move and not overgraze areas as they would without the presence of Wolves specifically. This benefits vegetative regrowth and riparian habitats especially which has a 'trophic' effect on the environment. Yellowstone has seen a rebound in environmental diversity since the reintroduction of wolves with the tradeoff of loss of some livestock. Programs to re-imburse ranchers who have lost cattle that have been killed by wolves are effective if it is apparent that wolves are to blame. Looking forward to contributing more in the future!

gb

gb
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 am 
Ski wrote:
nice try. in other words, you got nothin'.
Sorry that went over your head.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am 
gb wrote:
Ski wrote:
What have they done here?
What have we done here? Enjoy the heat, it will get a lot worse.
Unfortunately for the rest of the world, we are an arrogant species.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 11:30 am 
Gray Matter: You wrote: "Would you please care to elaborate on that link that you provided in this message? What is the intent of linking this particular video? If you're trolling, quality work. If not, you've got me thoroughly confused." I posted that link because the still photo looks exactly like my view of the 2 wolves stalking me when I was in the river fishing for steelhead. I suspect that most people have never seen a wolf crouched low (slinking) stalking its prey. In my river fishing experience, it looked to me like I was these 2 wolves prey. I have no idea of why you think I was trolling. Probably there are better still photos of wolves stalking prey but I did not spend much time looking for such wolf stalking photos. In Washington State, predators rarely bother trail hikers or off-trail hikers, hunters, climbers, fishers, etc. but it has been my experience that understanding the situation is appropriate. I had the opportunity to live my youth in a SW Wash location (outside the populated area adjacent many miles or roadless forest) to where encounters with bears and cougars were seldom but did happen. Although I carried a firearm most of the time when hiking, fishing, etc. alone, I never had to use it. By the way, wild life adapt to conditions. Presently deer frequent my SW Washington place, sleep in my backyard between the house and the garage and sometimes in the front lawn, act like they own my place, and I have fences around my fruit trees so we can get a our share of the fruit. Cameras show a 2 pt buck visits often, mostly at night. My apologies if my posts have strayed too far from Trail hiking recognizing that this is on "Trail Talk" and perhaps belongs in a category like "Off Trail Talk".

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:53 pm 
Mikey wrote:
I suspect that most people have never seen a wolf crouched low (slinking) stalking its prey.
My dog does this when people are coming up the trail. He gets low and hides. Then he "pounces", wagging his little stub of a tail and demanding pets. It's kinda hilarious because people are much less intimidated when he does it even though it's a predatory behavior... the laying down, hiding and pouncing. Whatever works.

Triton

Triton
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 am 
Merlin wrote:
Benefits of these predators primarily involves causing heard animals to stay on the move and not overgraze areas as they would without the presence of Wolves specifically. This benefits vegetative regrowth and riparian habitats especially which has a 'trophic' effect on the environment. Yellowstone has seen a rebound in environmental diversity since the reintroduction of wolves with the tradeoff of loss of some livestock. Programs to re-imburse ranchers who have lost cattle that have been killed by wolves are effective if it is apparent that wolves are to blame.
Welcome to the site. There is no "livestock" in Yellowstone National Park. The effects of the gray wolf in Yellowstone were primarily noted in the behavior of the resident elk. As to the "trophic cascade" theory put forth by Mssrs. Beschta and Ripple (OSU), and it supposed effects: there is no empirical evidence that any of those putative "benefits" (such as were reported in Yellowstone) have occurred anywhere in Washington State. In spite of that reality, organizations such as Defenders of Wildlife and Center for Biological Diversity continue to perpetuate the myth that wolf reintroduction is some sort of panacea for all that is "wrong" with natural ecosystems. IF what is claimed in the pro-wolf propaganda were true, it would logically manifest itself in those claimed beneficial effects on riparian ecosystems. There is no evidence that's happened anywhere here in Washington State.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am 
gb

gb
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 pm 
I guess what the real story and the likely reasons for the wolves behavior makes me wonder: What would have happened if when the wolves were yipping and barking if the researcher had left the scene before it "escalated" to a full on defensive posturing. Perhaps if the researcher had gone the opposite direction of the apparent wolves the threat would have de-escalated? What would have happened if she went the wrong way? Of course, that was likely towards the wolves. How would I have reacted?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 am 
this is exactly why they gotta hurry up and get the big bears back into the woods up there!! they'll kill the wolves due to being larger or at least provide a presence that will keep the dogs humble and afraid to venture too far out from those dens!

Merlin

Merlin
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 am 
I'd say good points SKI your right in each of your carefully constructed counterpoints. Truth is though, Yellowstone is the the only area where the long term benefits have been observed and it stands to reason that those same effects would correlate. By the way, trophic effect is not a theory https://missionwolf.org/trophic-cascade/ it is science by now. The larger ecological health of a system depends on it's diversity.