Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anybody else see the noctilucent cloud Sat nite July 14?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 pm 
We were at Cougar lake in the W.O. Douglas wilderness and at 10:30ish onward there was an amazing partly illuminated cloud twisting like a snake and stretching SW to NE. It drifted east as we watched and it was still lit up when it was dark enough to see all of the Big Dipper. Very cool. Anyone else catch it?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BdCast

BdCast
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 pm 
No I didn’t, but I’m excited for you. I’ve seen them once in the past and they really are a magnificent/strange thing to witness.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 9:31 pm 
Not to sidetrack, but I'd love to see your pictures from cougar lakes - been thinking about heading out there soon.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 am 
I didn't see it but they are a cool phenomenon to see for sure!!

yorknl

yorknl
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 am 
Cheerfully contributing to the sidetracking: how was the ford of the Bumping? Thought about doing that hike this weekend but the heat made me question river conditions. Thanks!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 4:59 pm 
Ford was ez, didn't even get to knee deep. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:28 pm 
Interesting observation MtnGoat. U of Wash Atmospheric Science Professor Bob Charlson did a post-doctoral research project on Noctilucent clouds under B J Mason (Oxford University I think) and I can recall Bob showing photos of these very high clouds. I did not know noctilucent clouds occurred in our area. Noctilucent clouds fascinate cloud watchers and scientists as they shine over northern latitudes very high above the Earth, at the edge of space. These clouds appear during the summertime in the polar latitudes about 80 to 90 km (50 to 56 miles) above the Earth’s surface, but they have been spotted in lower latitudes. The unusual clouds were first noted in 1885, according to NASA, but interest continues to grow as more is learned about them. They are made of tiny ice crystals that glow electric blue when sunlight shines through their cloud-tops.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 12:52 am 
Very cool. Know what they are , but have never seen them. Best times to look are May-August before sunrise or right after sunset. They have been more frequently seen farther south than before, the speculation is that it has something to do with global warming.