Forum Index > Trail Talk > Challenging eastside Olympics scrambling?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
teperilloux

teperilloux
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm 
Oregonian here and I've never hiked the Olympics and would like to pop my cherry with some fun scrambling on the east side (closer to Portland). We're more into blocky ledges and exposure than endless scree fields but I realize I live in the PNW. Not into low 5th class but could sweat through a few crux moves. I've read through trip reports of the brothers/constance/etc; there is a lot of variety. Ideally I'd establish a base camp and scramble some peaks over 3-4 days. I bookmarked a TR of a really cool Basecamp on the ne side with multiple day scrambles up neighboring peaks but alas, can't find it. Thank you in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm 
hard to avoid scree in the Olympics. That said, Constance, the Brothers, Anderson, Warrior, Stone, Washington are all very fun scramble objectives if you're ok with a little choss. Constance and Washington in particular are way cool. Cruiser if you're ok with low fifth class climbing (you'd probably want to pitch it out and rappel it). There are some cool peaks in the Royal Basin area too like Deception, Mystery, Hal Foss, and Fricaba, although I'd avoid Deception and Mystery if there's no snow. Just a heads-up: if you're using "Olympic Mountains: A Climbing Guide" (formerly "Climber's Guide to the Olympic Mountains") beware that a lot of the routes are notoriously sandbagged...

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm 
Jake nailed it. Let's see... challenging scrambling, blocky ledges, exposure. Sounds most like Mount Constance to me although you might want to wait until later in the season once more snow has melted from the route. I'd also recommend Mount Stone and The Brothers. Washington is and easier mostly steep hike with a bit of scrambling and is pretty cool too. When you say you want to establish base camp, do you mean backpack in and camp and climb peaks from there, or car camp?

teperilloux

teperilloux
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
Thx for the suggestions. Backpacking into a base camp. We have no problems with long approaches.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm 
Perhaps this is the trip report you were thinking about where they spent 4 days in the Royal Basin Area scrambling different peaks. Link Here is a link to another trip report from that area. Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RodF

RodF
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 8:50 pm 
Climber's Guide to the Olympic Mountains compiled by Olympic Mountain Rescue is a very helpful reference.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm 
Reststep's links to the royal basin and deception basin areas are probably your best bet for a hike in, camp, and climb peaks over several days. The only downside is that area is riddled with choss. Not the best scrambling in the Olympics in terms of quality, but you certainly get the quantity in that area and it is very scenic. Royal Basin camps require permits that are on the quota system and need to be reserved well in advance as well as a bear canister. Deception Basin is not on the quota system, but you still need a wilderness permit.

teperilloux

teperilloux
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:32 pm 
Thanks so much reststep! That's the TR I couldn't find. We can't do Royal but will put it on the list.

asa

asa
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 12:03 am 
Constance is a great one. When I did it the weekend of 6/22, I was wishing there was more snow, not less. The snow covered slopes were quick, the melted out scree was not. Crampons were necessary in a couple of spots. Mount Stone's also a fun one.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 pm 
RodF wrote:
Climber's Guide to the Olympic Mountains compiled by Olympic Mountain Rescue is a very helpful reference.
Great reference but also some big-time sandbagging in there