Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rolo, Wildcat and Lake Ferguson 7/14-15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm 
This past weekend, I took all 3 of my hikers out for an overnighter in the Pasayten. We reached the parking area for Slate Pass to find that most of the spots are still snow covered requiring a parallel park along the road. We started the hike and was able to avoid pretty much all the snow patches on the other side. Jayden and Ryan took off while I stayed with Sahale. The boys would stop at every junction making sure that we all went along the same trail.
Sahale at one of the many stream crossings in the meadows
Sahale at one of the many stream crossings in the meadows
As we went down the valley, we reached the small Middle Pasayten river ford, the boys made their way across and I had Sahale on my back. On the other side, we ran into Niko (twodogdad) returning from a trip further North. After a brief chat, we had a break to get some energy for the uphill hike to Lake Ferguson. Sahale did not like the rocky uphill trail but I did my best to distract her from it by pointing out different colored flowers, chipmunk noises, etc. The unmarked trail to the lake is in great shape, only one down tree we had to hop over. We found Jayden and Ryan waiting just before the lake, which Sahale got motivated to show her brothers that she was tough enough to make it to camp. We reached the nice, big lake and set up camp.
my 3 hikers at Lake Ferguson
my 3 hikers at Lake Ferguson
I had plans to climb Rolo and Wildcat from camp, so I asked the kids which one they'd prefer me to climb on the 1st day. They told me to tag Rolo, which was the furthest one away. I headed up the slopes to the ridge without any brush but soon encountered lots of talus. There were several ups and downs but nothing was a problem.
Wildcat Mtn (L) and Lk Ferguson down below
Wildcat Mtn (L) and Lk Ferguson down below
bare Pasayten ridges
bare Pasayten ridges
Rolo
Rolo
register
register
At the Rolo summit, the Fay register was damp but a newer register was in good shape. I headed back and found that the kids had a great time fishing while I was gone.
Ryan teaching Sahale how to fish
Ryan teaching Sahale how to fish
view across the lake
view across the lake
Sahale greeting me back to camp
Sahale greeting me back to camp
Ryan caught and released a couple of fish, he is the fisherman in the family. We got dinner ready and get to bed a little before dark.
a log in the lake
a log in the lake
I woke early for a hike up to Wildcat Mtn before the kids got out of bed. It was pretty easy from the Southern side of the lake using goat trails. I saw one goat right before the summit as it immediately got out of the way.
Wildcat Mtn
Wildcat Mtn
Silverstar (L) Devils Pk (R)
Silverstar (L) Devils Pk (R)
view down to Lake Ferguson
view down to Lake Ferguson
Once back at camp, I told the kids to get ready, have breakfast and start the hike out. Sahale was full of energy to start out but soon couldn't keep up with her brothers. At the river ford, she didn't want to be carried this time and chose to get her feet in the freezing cold water herself. I crossed with her as she figured out it is absolutely cold in that water. She made it with a few other hikers saw her while grabbing some water.
my 3 hikers
my 3 hikers
The boys reached Slate pass well before Sahale and I but once it came in view, she regained her motivation. A couple other creek crossing that she wanted to do herself was fun.
Sahale and another crossing
Sahale and another crossing
It was a fun trip with the kids, I'm so happy that they were all in for the trip! 19.5 miles 6800' elevation gain 2 days

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:49 pm 
Great fun with the family and a Niko sighting to boot!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 pm 
Awesome up.gif Some of my fondest childhood memories are of the backpacking trips and climbs I did with my dad (even though I didn't always appreciate them at the time!). Such a gift you're giving your kids. Also, I'm impressed with how much ground Sahale can cover!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 am 
Raising 3 hikers saga continues!

Art is an adventure.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
Well done; good to see Ryan back out on the trail; Good for Sahale! She is a cutie...

iron

iron
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:48 pm 
p300, eh?