Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Winchester repair closure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am 
This spring it became evident that there was a serious structural issue causing central sag in the SE wall. With FS guidance over the July holiday I was able to pinpoint the issue between interior/exterior walls by removing the siding.
Some long-standing water damage; repairs are in progress
Some long-standing water damage; repairs are in progress
Center detail
Center detail
The consensus was to lock the LO due to safety concerns. The winter closure cable and twin hasps were re-installed before departure, including closure signage on the structure, and three points along the Twin Lakes road. The alarming state of the wall motivated me to get back up there with a jack, lumber, and shoring materials last week. It has now been stabilized and cleaned up for repairs toward the end of the month.
Jacking & shoring
Jacking & shoring
Shored-up and painted
Shored-up and painted
Side note: When I returned for jacking and shoring work early on the 12th I found 2 groups of teens inhabiting the structure. A hasp had been broken and they were slithering in and out through the very narrow cabled gap. I took their mugshots and documented their vehicles upon departure. The trio also left logbook entries including partial names. The material has been handed over the the Federal authorities for possible prosecution. Unless more damage is sustained or discovered, the structure should be open to the public again in early August.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am 
Nicely done, David! Thanks for all your efforts to preserve this historic structure. Is the sill supporting this wall still solid?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 pm 
I thought the sill was two 2x4s (inside and out) but now realize it was a 2x8 split by the windows bearing all the weight from above. The whole sill will be replaced by by a couple of 2x8 cedar pieces joined together. Getting everything back into true will be a challenge I think. My jacking and shoring only stabilized things for now. The floor and foundation are good though.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
RodF

RodF
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
I thought the sill was two 2x4s (inside and out) but now realize it was a 2x8 split by the windows bearing all the weight from above. The whole sill will be replaced by by a couple of 2x8 cedar pieces joined together. Getting everything back into true will be a challenge I think. My jacking and shoring only stabilized things for now. The floor and foundation are good though.
Ouch! Not surprising, though, given the decades of deterioration visible within the wall. Dodger Point Lookout was out-of-plumb to the verge of collapse for similar reasons. I hope you'll be able to gain access to support the floor while replacing the sill without having to remove the floor. If so, temporary supports may be installed if needed to support the floor joists, and may be abandoned in place after the sill is replaced. (This was done under Enchanted Valley Chalet after one sill was replaced in 1983. The temp joist supports were pressure-treated 4x4 posts on precast footings. Installing these meant that the tongue-and-groove floor didn't have to be taken out and reinstalled.) A couple short PT2x4 posts on flat stones may be adequate to temporarily support and level the lookout floor. (In contrast, in Elkhorn RS, the entire floor had to be removed, the sills replaced, and then the floor joists and flooring reinstalled - a lot more work, but there was no simply no other access to the crawl space. Turns out this had been done decades before - 2 generations of duplicate floor joists were discovered under its floor from a prior replacement of the sills years ago.) I hope the ends of the floor joists are still solid and can be supported by the new sills without needing to add a ledger or double them. Best wishes and thanks for all your effort to preserve this unique historic site!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 am 
Thanks for your observations and feedback GW. I will file away in case it is needed.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am 
Well done, D. Glad you're not letting Winchester waste away!