Forum Index > Trip Reports > Intro to the North Cascades with Mike and Tom 9-8/14-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 am 
Today, probably closer to what it looks like in March. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 12:13 pm 
Is that Green lake Thomas? And are you on your way to Switzerland again?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm 
That's Berdeen and Green from a few years ago in March. No plans to fly over the polar ice cap any time soon but if anyone is traveling to Europe and lucky enough to have a window seat on a clear day it's a pheomenal tour of the North Cascades and Canadian Rockies on your way north. Every night around 7:15 PM we saw SAS Flight 938 pass directly over us like clockwork although I think my shot is from NW Flight 34 which passes over at 1:15 PM.
SAS 938
SAS 938

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 6:11 pm 
SAS 938
Back near the beginning of Time, September, 1972, I flew from SeaTac to Bergen via SAS. I think SAS curtailed flights for some years between. However, the route is similar. I had a window seat near the smelly rest room. The views were incredible. I recall seeing only some of Cascades. The Far North of Canada had this mysteriuos grid, laid out in quads of perhaps 10 miles or more. From 36,000', the world looked like it was draped with a net. Finally, we got over the night and over Greenland....it was spectacular...the ice cap was "forever". The mean "air hostess" requested" I close the window shutter so other folks could watch a movie (nearly everyone was asleep); I objected and the lady brought her companion "hostesses" and threatened me! Said I had taken 'their seat"! Well...SAS assigned the seat...etc. Ultimately, I missed seeing the rest of Greenland, the volcano that rises mid-ocean and Iceland or Spitzbergen, etc. I was allowed to open the shutter just before landing at Bergen...it is pretty neat...all sorts of islands, many bare of trees. So...what are we looking at in the photo? Fascinating stuff!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 pm 
Sabahsboy wrote:
So...what are we looking at in the photo?
Rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 9:15 pm 
What an amazing trip report. On the list for sure.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 6:33 pm 
I understand the reluctance to post an exact route... but I'm curious... do y'all have a rough estimate for total/daily milage and elevation gain/loss? Such amazing scenery, I'd love to do this someday, if I can ever get in the shape it would require. --Gray

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 7:25 pm 
No problems Gray, I'll send you some stats via PM.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 7:36 pm 
I really don't see the point of not making it more public. Its one of the points of this kind of list.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm 
Again, happy to make info available via PM, but really would rather not post a lot of details publicly.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Feb 01, 2008 5:26 pm 
I would also be interested in some stats if you could send them - this seems like the perfect summer vacation for this year! biggrin.gif Thanks for posting these amazing photos!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 pm 
I'm stunned...I've been dying to do that exact trek. Those photos are amazing! I just look at those lakes on GE and drool...remote lakes are perhaps the best (and me favorite) things to see in the mountains. These are the first photos I've seen of the area. Dayhike Mike...I don't blame you for not making the info a little more public; I wouldn't either Make the area accessable for only those willing to put in the research and effort. I will go there someday...how long it takes depends on how high this trek falls on my "long trek" priority list. Thanks very much (I feel awkward seeing this for the first time but hey: I'm still relatively new here)

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
SARguy

SARguy
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm 
Is anyone still around on this thread that can offer some beta getting into Green lake? I tried messaging mike, but got an undelivered message. I am specifically curious as to which route he took to get down into green lake.