Forum Index > Gear Talk > Heel Blisters :(
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 pm 
For the second time in two years, I have experienced heel blisters going up the Granite Mountain trail. I have had the boots for 5 years and last year was the first time I have experience heel blisters. I also have used the same liners and wool socks used in previous hikes. I am guessing collapsed insoles?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 5:20 pm 
steve_podleski wrote:
I am guessing collapsed insoles?
Good place to start. I have eliminated blisters in hiking and ski touring boots simply by installing high volume Superfeet insoles. If that doesn't do it, there's always Leukotape. Prepare with tincture of benzoin for enhanced stickiness.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm 
You could also check that your socks aren't wearing thin in the heels (although it's less likely to be the problem since you're wearing liners). I'm pretty sure worn out socks were partially to blame for a recent blister of mine.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 7:46 pm 
In my experience, heel blisters are almost always caused by excessive pressure, not rubbing. Stopping the laces an eyelet or two below the top can help on the uphills.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:10 pm 
Ezeefit Ankle Booties I have not tried these myself but I have heard they work and might be worth a try.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm 
I am going to try all your suggestions. It's too painful not to.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 5:21 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
I have eliminated blisters in hiking and ski touring boots simply by installing high volume Superfeet insoles.
Try wearing women's calf length nylons under the socks. The socks slide against the nylons, not your skin. Also, get packs of glacier gel, put 'em on as soon as you notice blister starting (hot spot on skin). See if any of these techniques work for you.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm 
https://goengo.com/ These were a game changer for me. Same concept as some of the other solution in that it creates a frictionless surface but this solution establishes the solution in the show rather than on the foot.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm 
+1 on Superfeet. Depending on your age, and the types of footwear you wear on a day-to-day basis, your feet may have flattened and grown a bit in length which can cause a change in the way footwear fits over a couple-few years. Some boots shrink over time too...especially sturdy boots with Top/Full grain chrome tanned leather. This is one of the reasons Superfeet work for many folks (including me). Without going into a long explanation of how (it has to do with supporting the calcaneous' shelf), Superfeet insoles help put the foot in a more neutral position which effectively shortens the foot a little. Perhaps more importantly, they help reduce tension on the Plantar Fascia tendon which allows the foot to flex more naturally.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
geyer

geyer
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm 
This might be specific to me, but I started getting heel blisters and thought it was my boots. In a way, it was, because my boots had been rubbing on my heels for so long that it created a heel bone spur. Now, boots just don't fit me unless they are custom molded. And even then, its a crap shoot. If you have a bone spur, my only suggestion is to switch to softer heeled shoes - either boots with a lot of cushioning in the heel (which will wear out quickly) or trail runner/approach shoes.

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 pm 
SusanHikes wrote:
https://goengo.com/ These were a game changer for me. Same concept as some of the other solution in that it creates a frictionless surface but this solution establishes the solution in the show rather than on the foot.
up.gif up.gif up.gif Been using these for years. I can't remember the last time I had a blister.

The only easy day was yesterday...
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am 
A lot of foot problems hiking are exasperated by wearing heavy boots with high heel lift and inflexible soles. You tend to take larger strides with excessive heel strike. If your barefoot you tend to take smaller strides, and have far less heel strike. You also roll your rear foot on the toes more (which you can't do in a heavy boot). You might try some low rise trail runners. The reduced heel padding will encourage you to relearn a lower heal strike stride and allow a more natural walking style (w/ flexiable sole).

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 am 
SusanHikes wrote:
Those worked well for me until the rainy season hit. I wore them on my daily walks. When my shoes got wet, the pads came off and stuck to my socks, and a blister was started from that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 2:39 pm 
Visited Jim at Custom Boot Service and he stretched the boots a bit and inserted a heel lift to get my heels to the back of the boot. He also suggested some foot exercises to get better balance. I also put on some leukotape. Made a small test on a 9 mi. hike on Johnson Ridge. Although the hike had only about 2600ft gain, I had no problems. Only negative was that the flowers where not yet out on Scorpion frown.gif