Forum Index > Photography Talk > Best places in Hawaii for Night Photography
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
manishbit@gmail.com

manishbit@gmail.com
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm 
Greetings Everyone !! I am planning for a 15 day trip to Hawaii, planning to cover all 4 islands, in Sep beginning. Can someone help me with the best places for Night photography. I will be there a week before and a week after the New Moon...so that should help Thanks Manish

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm 
Haleakalā (Maui) Long drive to the top, and then a short hike up the hill to the top. Freezing cold at night because of the altitude. There will be a big crowd right before sunrise. Find your spot and stick with it. Unfortunately most do not seem to be content to simply wait and watch and enjoy - they feel compelled to narrate the course of events as they happen or loudly proclaim their wonder (and general stupidity.) Can't really offer much more. Driving up to the top of the Pali on Oahu might work, but ambient light from Honolulu might be a distraction.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jul 22, 2018 8:27 pm 
Mauna Kea on the Big Island. There's a reason the telescopes are up there. I know you can drive to the 9000 ft visitor center and hike a trail to the 13,803 ft summit. Or figure out a way to otherwise drive to the summit. There's also the Mauna Loa Observatory at 11,161 ft, 17 miles up the Observatory Road. I have no personal experience with travel on Mauna Loa. A normal rental vehicle can easily make it up these roads, but it will abrogate your rental contract. However, you may be able to rent a 4WD vehicle where it's allowed. Even though 4WD is not needed. Or you may be able to find a rental company that permits travel at least up to the 9000 ft visitor center on Mauna Kea. So.... Take Diamox.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jul 22, 2018 9:00 pm 
Have you browsed dark sky maps (can be found in the web).

manishbit@gmail.com

manishbit@gmail.com
PostFri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm 
Thanks Guys...any other suggestions for any scenic routes on the islands? Any must see? Regards Manish