Forum Index > Gear Talk > Food Dehydrators?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 12:40 pm 
We have this one. MAGIC MILL Professional Food Dehydrator, 9 Stainless Steel Drying Racks, Multi-Tier Food Preserver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZV5RY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.4IvBbATBWEKE It's been good. Fairly quiet. Way more convenient than the "stacking" type dehydrators. Big enough to make decent sized batches.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 2:11 pm 
Food coops? Could you please name a few?

steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 pm 
Took the first step: ordered a Nesco 60 on Amazon.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 pm 
^ that looks kinda-sorta like how mine's built - stackable trays. I may be behind the curve here.... did Nesco acquire American Harvester? huh.gif if you get a roll of baking parchment and cut discs to fit the trays, clean-up is WAY easier and you won't be picking little tiny bits of food out of those itty-bitty holes in the trays. PCC Markets https://www.pccmarkets.com/ Olympia Food Co-op https://olympiafood.coop/ the one here in Tacoma is supposed to open soon at 46th & North Pearl. Fred Meyer stores have a fairly extensive selection of bulk dried items, although their turnover rate on some stuff can make product quality on some items sketchy and selection can vary from store to store. The dried soup mixes, the dried veggie mix, and a tabouli mix were about the only things I ever got there. (YMMV) Most of my dried bulk purchases in the past were at the Olympia Food Co-op, but currently I'm buying more stuff at Trader Joe's (nuts, raisins, etc.) because the prices are comparable and product quality at TJ's is usually excellent.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 pm 
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 pm 
Long ago I made one out of plywood from plans OSU made available. It used a Intermatic heater on the bottom and window screens in the box. It worked well and we already had the heater. It was heavy compared to commercial ones. Plans

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm 
Parmesan grated laid out on paper towels on cookie sheet ready to go into oven with oven light only:
parmesan grated and laid out on cookie sheet to dry
parmesan grated and laid out on cookie sheet to dry
As I mentioned above, you have to watch it, giving it a turn now and then. Leaving it in the oven too long (with only the oven light on) results in it becoming dry and crunchy, and then it won't melt into the pasta dish.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 pm 
Ski wrote:
I may be behind the curve here.... did Nesco acquire American Harvester?
NESCO bought American harvest in the 1990's, according to: http://www.dehydratorbook.com/american-harvest-dehydrator.html Corroborated by the reference to "NESCO®/American Harvest®" here: http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm 
^ That would explain why some of those Nesco models look exactly like my old "American Harvester", which was purchased about 1990. I put that Parmesan in the oven at about 6:30 PM with just the 40-watt oven light on. It's now 10:20 PM and it's about as dry as I want it for backpacking - just enough so that it doesn't get all clumped together in a zip-lock. I think it will be really tasty on some capellini with the homemade pesto that my girlfriend whipped up earlier this evening. wub.gif Not sure about trying to dehydrate the pesto though... probably just freeze a little bit of it and use it the first night.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 am 
Can’t really dehydrate pesto as it is mostly oil, basil, garlic, and nuts. You can buy a dry mix and add your own oil. You can make your own mix from dried basil, Parmesan and garlic

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am 
steve_podleski wrote:
Food coops? Could you please name a few?
Puget Consumers Coop ("PCC") has a series all over Puget Sound. Whole Foods isn't actually a coop, but the food they sell with the bulk bins and all the international foods makes it very much like a coop.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
"Can’t really dehydrate pesto..."
Yeah.. not much use trying to dehydrate something with so much oil content. She found a tiny little Tupperware-like container with a screw-on lid and filled it and put it into the freezer. I figure it will thaw within a few hours inside my pack in this kind of heat. should work fine for first night dinner.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 am 
We have eaten homemade pesto (frozen at trip start) at a mid-summer camp 2. No discoloration, tasted great. It's fantastic with high lake trout!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 am 
Pesto can also transform blah soup into very good soup. Pretty much everything's better with pesto!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 pm 
The "keep refrigerated" warning and expirartion dates on a pesto made from dried basil , olive oil, pine nuts, walnuts, dried garlic and dried parmesan cheese seem more like a marketing scheme than a food safety warning. Eventually the olive oil will go rancid, but that's a matter of months unless you set it out in the sun.