Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stick Indian troubles...???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I was quoting the poem "Teddy Bear's Picnic" Not really related to this topic except to illustrate many legends are just meant to keep children in line, and to behave, and not run off unless accompanied by an adult.
Ah, cool! I never read that one. I'll use that one with the grandkids. eek.gif My wife used to tell our son (and his cousin - who to this day ~ 25-30 years later - talks about this) that if they did or didn't do -whatever-, then the gypsies would be by and would probably take them somewhere.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
hahahahaha...My parents used the Gypsy threat on me as a small child. It only served to make me avoid people as I wandered about the rimrocks behind our house...you could go for miles and miles. Nothing but sandstone and rattlesnakes...never saw any child stealing Gypsies out there though, whew! (No slander meant against any people of any ilk)

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 14, 2015 9:34 pm 
very interesting. I must have missed this one somehow. don't drive over the Pali with pork in your car unless you want your car to break down. toss it out the window for the menehunes.
Wolfeye wrote:
I've seen enough weird things to know that spirits are real and that modern man's arrogant view of the world is incomplete. We like to think we know the rules of reality and that there are no mysteries. It just ain't so.
me too. and it goes far beyond arrogance. that which we perceive on this plane is only a wee bit of what's really going on. kind of like the "great flood" story - every civilization and every culture that's ever been in existence has one - it ain't something you just find in Genesis. same/same.... people all over just have different names for little people (if you can call them that.) oh... and don't try to bring rocks home that belong to Pele, either. and with that, it's time for some appropriate music.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cgunnyon
cgunnyon

cgunnyon
cgunnyon
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 6:37 pm 
Hello, My name is Coyote Gunnyon and I live on the Yakama reservation and was interested in using your story for a podcast that I am producing called Late Night In The Pacific northwest. When I was younger, we used to go up to the closed area towards Mt. Adams and had similar experiences. I could use my own for the show but that would be self indulgent. Let me know if that would be ok with you. Thanks Coyote Gunnyon cgunnyon@gmail.com latenighpnw@gmail.com

Coyote Gunnyon
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 29, 2018 1:49 pm 
Most (if not all) of author Craig Lesley's novels include Native American characters and center around life on or near reservations. I know he has references to Stick Indians in at least one of his books, but I want to say both "The Sky Fisherman" and "Winterkill." IIRC correctly in the books you are supposed to leave some matches as an offering when you suspect Stick Indians are nearby.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm 
Schenk wrote:
If you go out in the woods today, You'd better not go alone. It's lovely out in the woods today, But safer to stay at home...

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 pm 
I know Im late to this party, but I have an encounter to share if anyones interested. I tried to tell my Father and Grandfather, but they acted as if I was spewing profanity so I left it alone. smile.gif

"Our food lies ahead and death stalks us from behind."- Ernest Shackleton
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm 
Please share your tale. Or pm me. Would like to hear what you have to say.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
fjoro

fjoro
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 7:02 pm 
Likewise.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 am 
Ojsefg11 wrote:
I tried to tell my Father and Grandfather, but they acted as if I was spewing profanity so I left it alone.
Makes me wonder just why they are/were so annoyed at the mention of the subject. I also am seriously interested. Reply here or PM if you prefer.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:47 am 
From an early age, we weren't supposed to talk about them. My grandfather called them Toylona. When I was a small boy, my older cousins would terrify us with stories, which to me, border lined on bull crap. My Grandfather was a man of very few words, but when I told him, His eyes got big and he told me to speak of them is a great offense and it gives them the power to "come down from the rocks and steal children to eat." and why he always left food on the edge of the property .

carlb328

carlb328
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am 
I remember talking about something like this with someone I worked with near Yakima. They also said that if you see little piles of rocks, like hiking cairns, that they were put there by the stick people I think.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:39 am 
Okay here is what happened. Call me crazy if you want. I went camping with my son on Saturday, June 20th We were in the Tahoe National Forest East of Foresthill. We got to the campground at about 3:30 p.m.The camp site we chose backed up to the heavy woods so once you enter the woods, make sure you remember which direction you came from. The people in the last campsite were playing loud metal music most of the day so there really wasn’t any thing else to hear. The weekend before, a couple of kids were coyote calling and I had to explain to them and their parents why that wasn’t a good idea. After setting up camp, I kept getting an uneasy feeling uphill to the east of camp and I kept looking, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Around 8 p.m. or so, I was getting dinner ready and a small rock about the size of a walnut came from north of my site, landed where I was standing and rolled into my foot. At first thought I figured the metal music campers were having some fun so I picked it up and threw it back towards the same general area. After dinner we relaxed, talked for a while, I set up my Gopro to do a time lapse of the sky, and at roughly 10:30 p.m. we turned in for the night. At 12:30 A.m. My Son and I were both awakened by a sound just outside our tent. It sounded like something was digging and pawing at the ground. I slapped my hand down loud on the floor of the tent and whatever it was bounded off and pretty much sounded like a deer bounding through the trees. My watch is a fitbit and turns on every time I raise my arm so I knew exactly what time it was. My son went back to sleep, but At this point, I was wide awake so I decided to wait and see if the deer would come back. At 1:15 or so, there was more movement outside the tent but I couldn’t quite tell what it was. Something that struck me as odd, was the environment was dead quiet. No normal forest noise at all. Just the very slight shuffling outside the tent. I slapped my hand down again and this time there was no movement of anything. Just the echo of my hand slap and the absence of all other sound. I strained to hear anything else. I even slowed my breathing. It was that quiet. At 1:30 exactly, I hear a temper tantrum like ruckus coming from approximately 20 yards to the northwest. I heard a loud deep huff of breath and what sounded like a bunch of vegetation being slammed against the ground faster and louder each time followed by a loud double thump that I felt through the ground. Then, whatever it was ran north from that spot on two legs. I say that because nothing on this world should run on two legs but a man. Only this “man” covered about 100 yards uphill in about ten strides. At the end of this sprint there was some crashing and limb breaking and for a couple hours afterwards there was a loud knock and various sounds indicative of someone or something meandering about in the woods north of me. At 3:30 roughly, a car was heard coming down foresthill road into camp and during this, its headlights lit up the camp and the tree line. After this happened, all activity ceased.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm 
raccoon

carlb328

carlb328
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 2:14 pm 
Sounds like bigfoot to me.