Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 8:30 am 
Sam Sayers headed out at 8 a.m. on Wednesday for Vesper Peak. She didn't return that night Search underway for 28-year-old Seattle hiker at Vesper Peak in Snohomish County

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 10:30 pm 
Still not found. frown.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 am 
Crud!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 6:24 am 
vibes to Sam and the search team

D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 10:03 am 
I went kayak fishing yesterday at Spada. SAR has a pretty big presence at the Greider Lakes TH. A PUD boat dropped a team of SAR folks off at the Williamson Creek drainage. I hope that gal had some rain gear because the temp was in the 50's with pretty much constant rain the whole time I was there.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am 
The family says authorities were able to ping her cell phone yesterday and it was moving. There used to be a pretty good trail from Lake Elan down to the mine and a road down to the Sultan River. It's easy to wander down that way in the fog rather than back to Headlee Pass. I imagine the roads are a tangled mess of alder now and it's a long way down to Spada Lake.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 12:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The family says authorities were able to ping her cell phone yesterday and it was moving.
I am assuming this is a good sign. Hope she is found quickly and all can go hole safely. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
nordique

nordique
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 7:17 am 
Massive search continues for Seattle hiker missing since Wednesday https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/missing-hiker/ A third day in a massive search for a missing solo hiker in the North Cascades has come up empty. The woman’s boyfriend and others have spent $5,000 for Ziploc provision bags they are leaving along a trail with a note they hope Samantha “Sam” Sayers will find. A massive search was on its third day Saturday for a solo Seattle hiker, 28, in a North Cascades mountainous trek described as “definitely not for the novice.” There were no reports of a sighting of Samantha “Sam” Sayers, an experienced day hiker. The Snohomish County Sheriff’s office said that as of 9:30 p.m. she had not been found. Her boyfriend, Kevin Dares, and his siblings say they have spent close to $5,000 for 150 one-gallon Ziploc bags, each stuffed with Clif bars, a poncho, socks, compass, flashlight, fire sticks and a lighter. They have been given to searchers to place in the area. On each bag is the note, “Lost person Sam Sayers. Tear off corner of this note and leave in bag so we can track you! Stay strong! We love you and everyone is looking for you.” The search has included 50 volunteers from various search and rescue groups in Puget Sound, as well three K-9 teams and the Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team. The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said Sayers had left alone for a hike on the Vesper Peak trail at 8 a.m. Wednesday. The trailhead is 27 miles south of Darrington on the Mountain Loop Highway in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. Sayers was expected to return that night and check in with her boyfriend by 6 p.m. Also an avid hiker, he had to work that day and couldn’t go along. The two manage a Belltown apartment building, said Jessica Dares, Kevin’s sister, who flew in from Louisiana when the family learned Sayers was missing. “By 8 he hadn’t heard from her, and so he went to the mountain to search for her,” said Dares. Depending on the elevation, temperatures in the Vesper Peak area would have ranged from highs in the 50s to the mid-60s, to lows in the 50s, said the National Weather Service. It was a two-hour drive and dark when Kevin Dares got there Wednesday night. Sayers’ car was parked at the trailhead. On the website alltrails.com, the hike gets glowing reviews for its “really excellent scenery,” although some hikers say the trail was hard to follow. One wrote, “I found myself surrounded by ferns and couldn’t see anything around me. I backtracked and crossed the creek where all the logs were and it looked like there was a trail on the other side, but that disappeared too. After roaming around in the woods with no service on my phone, I decided to just head back … ” Dares said her brother looked for Sayers in the dark, then returned and “alerted the rangers.” She said her brother again went looking for Sayers in the dark, and again had to return. She said he had a flashlight. Kevin Dares couldn’t be reached Saturday because he was searching for Sayers, said his sister. Sayers’ Facebook page shows a smiling young woman who is enjoying life. Her head is bald as she has alopecia, an autoimmune skin disease that causes hair loss. Recent postings by Sayers were optimistic, and include a sales pitch, “Friends, Family, Countrymen, and most importantly- MAMAS! I have launched a second baby photo blanket after a glowing response from the first set. Both are now available on Amazon.” Sayers’ mother arrived Saturday from Girard, Pennsylvania. Lisa Yax Sayers had one message for her Facebook friends: “PLEASE keep sharing!!! We need more help! SAR, military, search dogs. I need my little girl found!!!”

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 7:51 am 
Vesper just isn't a place that is easy to get lost in. I wonder if she didn't cross the stream. But headed into the Morning Star basin instead. Seems like she should have been found by now. Something is certainly amiss here. Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am 
Celticclimber wrote:
I wonder if she didn't cross the stream. But headed into the Morning Star basin instead.
I did this once years ago. I had been to Headlee Pass only once before with a friend who knew the way. This time I was solo and rushing off with a late start in the afternoon. I got mixed up at the water crossing. The vegetation gets very dense and over your head. I could tell that the terrain looked a bit different than my previous trip. I had to climb up on some house-sized boulders to get a better look around. At that point I back-tracked to find the trail where I had gotten offtrack. But I went quite a ways at first before I realized my mistake. ~z

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 am 
If she had headed toward Del Campo and Morning Star she would have been found by now, or else she would have been home the same day. It's pretty quick up the basin and she would have hit steep terrain. If it's foggy on top, it's easy to miss Headlee Pass on the way down and end up down on the Sultan River. Once at the abandoned Sultan River Road, if she had headed east it's a couple of miles to the old Rudabecks cabin site before hitting a dead end. Heading west on the old roadbed, it's 4 miles to the old bridge site. I'm still optimistic - it's been relatively warm, there's no lack of water in the area and plenty of ripe berries to eat. What concerns me is that if she's down in the river valley she hasn't started a fire to be seen. When Kennecott was working to reopen that mine on the Sultan River side of Vesper that was the quickest way up the mountain.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am 
Schroder wrote:
If it's foggy on top, it's easy to miss Headlee Pass on the way down and end up down on the Sultan River.
I agree. Years ago, we saw a party starting to head down Vesper Creek towards Sultan River. My bud and I exchanged WTF? looks, then we yelled down at them, "Hey, are you sure you want to go that way? Headlee Pass is this way. [pointing]" They ascended to us, thanked us and provided free beer at the TH.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 10:07 am 
Schroder wrote: “if she’s down in the river valley she hasn’t started a fire to be seen”. I was up in the Elk Creek area near the Sultan River last week and even though it had been sunny and dry for weeks, the brush was still soaking wet. She may have had trouble getting a fire started and used up all her matches. I’m still optimistic though, because there are plenty of berries and water and lots of people out there looking for her.

Triton

Triton
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am 
Per a Facebook post, someone saw her at the top at 3 pm, then saw her descending towards Spada Lake so that is where they are looking today

nordique

nordique
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 pm 
From the Seattle Times: Search continues for missing Seattle hiker; dogs, helicopters and searchers have failed to locate woman Originally published August 5, 2018 at 4:19 pm Updated August 5, 2018 at 4:57 pm. The search continued Sunday without results for a Seattle woman missing since going on a solo hike in the rugged mountains south of Darrington last week. Samantha “Sam” Sayers has been missing since Wednesday despite a massive search effort that has included dogs, helicopters and dozens of volunteers. Around fifty search and rescue members and three K-9 teams resumed their search at daybreak Sunday, said Snohomish County sheriff Lt. Norm Link. The weather has been cooperative and the rescue team planned additional updates later Sunday. However, Kevin Dares, Sayers’ boyfriend, said in a telephone call Sunday that she has not been found. The searchers were working in “very dangerous and rugged terrain,” he said. She was not prepared for anything more than a day hike, he said. “She didn’t have cold weather gear. She had like three sandwiches, some chips and water. It’s been five days,” he said. He and his siblings and other volunteers have been leaving zip-locked “survival bags” with food, matches and some warm clothing, along portions of the trail. Sayers, 27, was described as an experienced day hiker who left for a hike on the Vesper Peak trail at 8 a.m. Wednesday. She was expected to head home and check in with her boyfriend that night, but didn’t return. Her car was found parked at the trailhead, 27 miles south of Darrington on the Mountain Loop Highway in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. The trail has been described as hard to follow by some hikers. There has been an outpouring of support on social media and a Facebook group has been organized to coordinate efforts. Members have volunteered to help gather supplies, spread the word and open their homes to Sayer’s out-of-town relatives and friends. Link said while people are interested in helping, they should not try to join the search if they are not search-and-rescue certified, as this could distract from efforts to find Sayers. Dares, the boyfriend, echoed this on social media, asking that those interested in helping donate to a GoFundMe page instead. The page raised more than $13,000 in two days, which was set up to help fund supply packs given to searchers to place in the area. On Facebook, Dares said he hoped to see if funds could be used to hire additional tracking groups.