Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I was up in the Elk Creek area near the Sultan River last week
Nancyann - is the Elk Creek road still walkable? I haven't been there since they closed off all the roads.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 7:00 pm 
It is if you bring loppers and gloves, otherwise, no. Also, the bridge over Elk Creek was removed. frown.gif

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 pm 
This disappearance is scary mysterious. There have no doubt been plenty of Vesper hikers in the days since Samantha's disappearance who would have run into her had she been anywhere near the main route. Returning back to Headlee Pass from Vesper's summit, if a high leftward traverse isn't maintained to get back to the pass, the terrain sucks you down Vesper Creek into the Sultan drainage (which is where they are searching). Surely Vesper Creek is being targeted? Years ago, a former coworker got sucked into a similar terrain trap returning from Kaleetan's summit. He ended up walking out to the Middle Fork drainage four days later. Same thing, a leftward traverse has to be maintained to get back over to the Melakwa Lake side, or the terrain sucks you towards the Middle Fork. For that matter, when leaving Melakwa Lake the terrain sucks you into the Pratt River drainage.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 pm 
I once had a friend who, after climbing the old north face route on Vesper, got disoriented in the mist and ended up heading down the south side of the mountain towards Spada Lake. Three days later they finally popped out on a road. He got meningitis for his troubles.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 pm 
Is it normal to leave "supply bags"? Seems like if they are close enough to leave one where she will find it either they'd find her or she doesn't want to be found.. I can see why the family would want to do it, it just seems like they will end up as trash...

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 11:17 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Is it normal to leave "supply bags"?
First time I have ever heard of this. I had some of the same thoughts you did. I believe they were just trying to "do" something since she was only prepared for a day hike. The family and loved ones must be quite distraught. May she be found safe and sound--soon. ~z

Arginine

Arginine
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 7:40 am 
zephyr wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Is it normal to leave "supply bags"?
First time I have ever heard of this. I had some of the same thoughts you did. I believe they were just trying to "do" something since she was only prepared for a day hike. The family and loved ones must be quite distraught. May she be found safe and sound--soon. ~z .
Last year when there was a search for the missing hiker at Tennerife (sic?), SAR put out a bunch of water drops but I don't remember if there were other supplies too. For this one it seems like a map would be helpful especially with the drop's location on it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that there is one in there.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 am 
Encouraging to hear that her phone was moving. Y'know, we should all share our stories far and wide of our unplanned nights out. The second time, we're prepared for it. Our audience might be, too. Mike and Dave didn't show up Sunday night after hunting, late October, northern Minnesota. I'd been out with my dad, rain mixed with snow. "I'm glad I'm not out someplace getting lost right now," I remember thinking -- as they were dong exactly that -- from their car, at dusk, after they'd flushed a grouse. They'd parked under trees down a closed logging road after telling nobody where they were going (teenagers). They could've been in three different counties. Their car ws spotted from the air after 2 days, just about the time they hiked out safely via the longest possible route. They'd had 2 matches and a compass, but little other gear. TYheir tale was published; I've never forgotten that one. I got separated from my gear at the north end of a long abandoned portage AND from my canoe at the south end (please don't ask me to explain this embarrassing tale) with nothing but shorts and a sleeveless cotton shirt. Yup, I got lost off a sxtraight path. Perfect weather, and knowledge of the area, allowed me to recount that adventure. If I recall aright, Chester Marler's most interesting book "East of the Divide" (east side of the Cascades, recommended) relates asking the pilot to set him down several miles aways froim Talkeetna ranger station at Denali, on a whim, just to stretch his legs after a rescue mission. He blundered into a lost backpacker wearing little but underwear who'd been unable to find the tent after taking a crap in the middle of the night. [I don't think I am making this up.] A friend left her companions for a sunny afternoon wander from Monogram Lake, and somehow missed the lake on her way back -- seems improbable, but what happens when you're not really paying attention to directions or map and wander down the wrong ridge and you're suddenly at the edge of a cliff? A long night for everybody. Coupla years ago, I lit the most challenging fire of my life with a lighter, a decent knife, and a paraffin egg-carton firestarter (pour paraffin into a paper egg carton; add magnesium filings). With a real knife, you can whittle tinder. I recently talked somone out of lightening their pack by leaving their rain jacket behind. Left camp after dinner last week to explore an old trail, very briefly. Danged dif I didn't bring enough stuff to survive the night, just for a half-our stroll at dusk. If you carry a satellite messager, you can tell everybody that you're OK, just late as usual. ------------------------------- So, Sam, we are all eagerly waiting to hear your story!

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
protectkidz

protectkidz
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:33 am 
I registered so that I could ask you all for help and advice for those searching for Sam. they are using this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/194935701378932/ They are searching again now, and her boyfriend posted this with a map of where they are going to search today: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10160671320695254&set=gm.197903034415532&type=3&theater&ifg=1 any and all suggestions and advice are welcomed and appreciated!! thank you!!!

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 am 
I suggest you pull or edit your post. It links to a FB page where all the gossip about "the sherrifs department lied to us" has taken over anything constructive. After dealing with the S&R deputies, I can tell you lying isn't part of their job. They are caring professionals, as are any DoD personel or members of other departments. All the volunteer S&R people are doing their best to help. Furthering needless and baseless innuendo is just plain dumb. That FB page also need a good scrubbing.

protectkidz

protectkidz
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 am 
I'll pass that on, but want my post to remain if possible because the info is there and finding Sam is the most important priority at this point, imo. I'm not a family member or friend, just a member of the public (in Ohio) that has the time today to reach out to folks like you to pass this info to.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:00 am 
Arginine wrote:
Last year when there was a search for the missing hiker at Tennerife (sic?), SAR put out a bunch of water drops but I don't remember if there were other supplies too.
I assumed those water drops were for the searchers. It was pretty hot and there probably wasn't water in any streams up high on Teneriffe or Si during that search, so having a resupply point would have been nice.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:02 am 
protectkidz wrote:
I'm not a family member or friend, just a member of the public (in Ohio) that has the time today to reach out to folks like you to pass this info to.
Even more reason for you to butt out. Kevin Dares is speaking out of worry, but he is still speaking about things he knows not about. https://helicopterrescue.org/what-we-fly/

protectkidz

protectkidz
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 am 
thanks, everyone, for the advice and encouragement.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 pm 
Very likely that they are under VFR given the terrain. The bigger Huey lacks the built in FLIR that the Hughes has, but can carry more eyeballs and handheld IR, if that is appropriate. Given this temperature there may not be the delta needed for a good IR signature.