Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 pm 
I just hope they find her and that she is OK.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:19 pm 
Here's the map of the search area from the link posted above Here's where the main trail was for many years from Sultan Basin. The blue are decommissioned roads that are an alder jungle now.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:49 pm 
It's stories like this that make me very glad I carry a Garmin InReach locator device. I'm not trying to victim blame--I only got one last year, after hearing from SAR folks how incredibly frustrating it is to be searching for a needle in a haystack like this--and technology is not failsafe. But if anyone has been waffling about getting one, hopefully a search like this, where SO many resources are being used and they are still coming up empty, might make someone think more seriously about getting one.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:14 pm 
Quote:
Given this temperature there may not be the delta needed for a good IR signature.
Good point. And its not like the choppers are going to fly that kind of terrain low down at night, so that's a good chunk of the cool temp period gone.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:19 pm 
Kevin Dares is on FB saying the the SCSD lied to him about FLIR ship being on site, and no such capability was looking for this woman. But that very same FB page has photos of a the SnoCo Hughes at Spada Lake. The Hughes is the look-for-bad guys copter and does have FLIR according to the SnoCo helicopter web site.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm 
My son and I ran into big trouble in the cliffs on Kindy Ridge last August. (I'll write it up sometime.) A couple of takeaways: 1. We found the high ridges were totally baked out on the southern exposure by August. No water to be had for the upper several thousands of feet. We kept trying to find the key through the cliffs and back to the pass, but went much too far down the ridge. (Dehydration also messes with decision making.) 2. The creeks cut deep 40-60 ft. deep canyons in these ridges. (I was looking at all of those creeks coming off Vesper.) At one point, we were dropping to the Kindy, feeling strong and running out our escape after topping the ridge and getting water. We followed the gully straight down, which soon became a steam, but got stuck on a dirt ledge. Forty feet straight down and 30 feet of vertical dirt bank above us. We made a sketchy exposed move up a narrow dirt ramp to get out and that popped us and we were rolling again. But we could easily have been pinned on that ledge or fallen with injury to the creek bed below. 3. Combining those two experiences, is it possible that she traversed too far down the ridge and got stuck (or a broken ankle) in a creek canyon? That would also explain why it is hard to find her, as the sound of a creek is loud and the creek walls unfavorable to sound to carry. 4. I'm sure experienced searchers know these things, but this is from my recent experience in what is likely similar terrain.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 pm 
Yana wrote:
That is not a map of the search area. That is a map of a portion of the search area.
He said that was today's search area in his post above; shaded is already-searched.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Yana wrote:
That is not a map of the search area. That is a map of a portion of the search area.
He said that was today's search area in his post above; shaded is already searched.
The map you are referring to was posted by her BF Kevin Dares, who has demonstrated himself to not be the best source of information.

D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 pm 
kiliki wrote:
It's stories like this that make me very glad I carry a Garmin InReach locator device. I'm not trying to victim blame--I only got one last year, after hearing from SAR folks how incredibly frustrating it is to be searching for a needle in a haystack like this--and technology is not failsafe. But if anyone has been waffling about getting one, hopefully a search like this, where SO many resources are being used and they are still coming up empty, might make someone think more seriously about getting one.
I seriously considered getting a SPOT when they were on sale last year. I personally carry a Ham radio with a note listing the frequency I can be reached on if I am late. The FCC is on their case but I think all Baofeng UV-5R and variants can still transit on all frequencies. Meaning you can even use the forest service channels in an emergency. They have repeaters in the backcountry that would sure be useful in a situation such as this.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
Sheesh, Mr. Dare is not going to win himself any sympathy by accusing SAR of lying.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:57 pm 
The guy is distraught. Give him a break.

hikerman

hikerman
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:59 pm 

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 pm 
Squirrels are going to be stuffed.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:18 pm 
hikerman wrote:
That doesn't seem like a good idea just leaving that stuff out there. I have never heard of that kind of stuff being left out in the backcountry when there is a missing person. I understand the desperation but they should use good sense in their actions. I understand they have collected a lot of money to get these items and I assume they are leaving them out in the backcountry. Who knows were they all are and will retrieve them? Anyway, I hope there is a good outcome on the search. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm 
Search and Rescue is out there giving it there all and then being attacked from the family. These people volunteer there time to help and deserve the support of everyone. Sound like there are now a bunch of new people up there, making the chance of something happening that will take away from the search. I was involved in a rescue on Vesper probably 15 years ago when my hiking partner step on a loose rock and tumbled down about 75 before stopping near the saddle between Vesper and Sperry. Shattered his forearm. The area is very rugged and something can happen very fast and experience should be required to be up there. Bring Sam home to her family safe and sound. Rob