Forum Index > Gear Talk > Wind River Questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm 
I'm heading out to the Wind Rivers next week. Titcomb/Indian Basin areas from Elkhart Park trailhead. Should I purchase bear spray, even though this area is well traveled? I've heard there are only black bears in the area (no griz), and that wouldn't worry me. Also, I don't want to buy a bear vault, and have been told it's okay, but a bit tricky in areas, to hang your food. Anyone have experience and would share your tips? Doesn't look like I need a permit? Just self-register at the trailhead. I'll confirm this at the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale. Our only plan is to climb Fremont Peak. To do this, would best camping be at Island Lake, or should I push into Indian Basin? Would like to try and make a loop so we don't have to backtrack same trail to Elkhart. Anyone have advice of a loop route? I'd be comfortable with off-trail route finding. Thanks.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 8:56 am 
We did a loop last September over to Spider lake, crossed Angel (?) pass and did cc segment over to Indian pass and basin and back (to Elkhart TH) and it was great. Didn`t see bear or much sign of any. We took spray just cause everyone told us to but not really sure how necessary it really is (but I only went on one trip). Took ursacks and am glad we didn`t take bear cannisters. PM me if you want more details on the specifics of the trip.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm 
Been in there twice, both to do Fremont (one bail, one good). Island Lake, Titcomb Basin trends crowded (picture packer assisted drop camps camping on the shoreline). There's a knoll just northwest of the trail on the rise before Island L., Pt. 10772, that I liked sleeping on. It has great views, keeps you out of the traffic. Indian Basin is nice too, just a tad long from Elkheart for one day. More limited views there, unless you do the broad shoulder (southerly spur ridge's top) at about 12, 050' just before the climbey part. Assuming you are doing the Southwest slope route. You'll have the ascent route in sight miles before you arrive. Fremont is fabulous, time on the summit on a high viz day memorable. Photographer's Point is also a nice place to sleep (on the way in or out). I'll defer to others on loop routes. Griz? Doubtful, more so on the north end of the range. But, my last visit was 04 or so.

Off trail rambler
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am 
See a similar topic in Trail Talk. You're probably good with, or without bear spray.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.