Forum Index > Trail Talk > Current Wildfire status
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 7:46 am 
Yesterday from the Olympics it could be seen that there was a veil of smoke over the Western Cascades from about 5000 to 7000' (mostly). That appears to have been from either the Little Camas Fire or a fire near Goldendale. Both of these fires are roughly 300 acres and are becoming well contained and should die out. There is a large 35,000 acre fire in the Klamath Mountains and a huge 439,000 acre fire not far from Winnemuca, Nevada that was human caused at 12:45 in the morning. Both of these fires present the greatest risk for smoke given a certain S or SE flow in the mid-levels of the atmosphere. There are also many fires in Arizona, Utah and especially Colorado. Most BC fires are from about Prince George and north. There is a fire west of Mammoth Lakes, California and another near Mt. Whitney that could affect recreation in these areas. So all in all right now things look pretty good in the Pacific Northwest. At this time there does not look to be a lightning storm on the horizon in our area. Cross your fingers. All of this can be viewed in the US at the Inciweb site: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov In British Columbia is easy to find by googling British Columbia Wildfires.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am 
There have been large fires in the brush near Quincy (Trinidad) and Vantage and yet another outside of Leavenworth. Two jumpers were dumped out to take care of a small fire on the east side. It is that time of year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 am 
Was up around Winthrop last weekend and they had a crew dealing with a small something on the north facing slop above Eightmile.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am 
For tomorrow: http://www.kpq.com/fire-weather-watch-on-friday/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am 
Nock on wood it's been a good year so far this year

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 am 
gb wrote:
another near Mt. Whitney that could affect recreation in these areas.
Have been following Whitney, issued yesterday: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5907/43913/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm 
I use this: http://lar.wsu.edu/airpact/gmap/ap5/ap5smoke.html It shows fires + the impact to air quality across the region.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am 
fwiw, risk predictive wildfire maps for the fire season - National Significant Wildland Fire Potential Outlook Predictive Services National Interagency Fire Center https://www.predictiveservices.nifc.gov/outlooks/monthly_seasonal_outlook.pdf

Off trail rambler
prairiecomm

prairiecomm
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 12:46 pm 
maple fire - SE Olympics: The Maple fire is located 23 miles North of Shelton, WA, above the community of Hamma Hamma. The fire is burning in steep terrain on the Jefferson Ridge Line and North of Jefferson Creek. Elk Lake trail runs through the middle of the fire. 8/9/18 update per inciweb: 800+ acres as of ~9am, 5% contained, Jefferson Ridge Trail and Elk Lake Trails closed. Flanking movement is expected in both easterly and westerly directions with fire acreage increasing 200 - 200 acres per day. Fire has crested Jefferson Ridge to the east and is expected to burn up the Hamma Hamma drainage toward the west. dang, .... its really really dry out there. In Quilcene last week, bogachiel and ho a couple of days ago -- very very dry. Be careful!

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm 
Hamma Hamma road is now closed, so no access to Lena Lake, LOA or the Mildred Lakes trail.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm 
burck17 wrote:
Nock on wood it's been a good year so far this year
True, but I have a foreboding feeling about the upcoming few weeks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm 
So.... do they have a crew on that one up on the Hamma Hamma, or are they letting it go? Is that on NPS or USFS land?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
Ski wrote:
So.... do they have a crew on that one up on the Hamma Hamma, or are they letting it go? Is that on NPS or USFS land?
Yes, they are fighting it. It's on USFS land. The current goal is to keep it from getting into the "popular recreation areas" and moving into DNR land.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:18 pm 
pfft! I was hoping to get out next week, but if there's a blanket of smoke over there that's a deal-killer.... did that last year and it was a major buzzkill. down.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 am 
Ski wrote:
but if there's a blanket of smoke over there that's a deal-killer....
We drove in from ND this week, arrived in Spokane last night, and the sky is filled with a continuous fog of smoke from eastern Montana to here, and from the looks of it this morning, there is no letup westward.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology