Forum Index > Trail Talk > GPW alternate? (and ? re ONP La Crosse loop)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am 
Three of us from Ohio are flying to Seattle next week with the intention of spending six days backpacking the Spider Meadow/Gap-Image Lake-Buck Creek Pass loop, starting a week from today (8/9). The wildfires in that area, and the posts about smoke and haze, has me second guessing our planned trip. I know things can change, but should we plan an alternate trip (but still in PNW)? Maybe I should mention that one of the goals of the trip is to see the Perseid meteor shower under dark skies 8/11. Two years ago, we did both Copper Ridge and Park Butte when a fire closed Buck Creek Pass at the time of our same planned GPW loop. As an alternate this year, I was considering the La Crosse Basin loop in the Olympics. Also, for those in the know, which of the four access trails (Dose, Duckabush, Skokomish, and Quinalt) to the La Crosse area is preferred or recommended? Does anyone recommended other longish trips (for older, flatlanders from Ohio)? Or am I just overreacting? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm 
Lanzcape, not sure there is a good answer for you but I defer to the savvy locals on this board on that (I'm Wisconsin based, regular visitor to N. Cascades). I don't think you are over reacting tho - having done oodles of fly in trips similar to what you're doing I've learned that having a plan B that is so attractive it is actually an A - translates into not being caught flat footed by conditions or weather. Present problem is that I'm not sure you can predict whether the Olympics will be relatively smoke free for your trip. That definitely wasn't true last August.

Off trail rambler
hbb

hbb
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 4:03 pm 
The Olympics have been experiencing smoke from the fires in B.C. this summer (although it currently doesn't seem to be an issue), so don't assume that's a safe bet. You might want to get a few alternate trips planned, and make a game-time decision based on conditions when you land. Here's a good resource: http://wasmoke.blogspot.com/

Fool_to_Think

Fool_to_Think
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 pm 
I couldn't help but chuckle at the two options you've picked. I've got the same ones for myself and I live out near near Seattle. I've had my eye on Image Lake via Miners Ridge for some time now and had it in mind for this meteor shower. The bad news is that the PCT is closed north of Suiattle Pass due to fires. Now the prevailing winds should be taking all that smoke and pushing it north and west. I don't know how much I want to chance Image Lake, and it's a little bit of a farther drive for me. Unfortunately a fire just broke out in the Hamma Hamma part of the Olympics which is northwest of the LaCrosse Basin and has impacted some hiking in the immediate area, I think Upper Lena Lake is under evacuations. This fire shouldn't have any impact on hiking to The LaCrosse Basin area but it's something I'm keeping an eye on. Rain is in the forecast for Saturday which will help, but also brings lightning . And that's how some of these fires started to begin with. All in all, I don't think I helped you much. Other than to say I live out here and still haven't made my mind up. I don't know if you heard about the website WTA.org but it's a great resource for up to date trail reports. Here's another link for a wildfire resource that I found to be helpful. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/?state=49 As for what route into LaCrosse Basin, I'm personally looking at the North Fork Skokomish. I've been as far as Camp Pleasant twice before and enjoy the route that far, so I figure I'll take it all the way up; two nights to get there, night one at Home Sweet Home second at a lake. 42 miles round trip. I hiked the Enchanted Valley up to the chalet over Memorial Day weekend, and did a couple nights on the Duckabush last summer. All enjoyable. Enchanted Valley is pretty spectacular and there is a worlds largets tree once you get past it, always a fun bucket list item you never knew you had. No matter what you choose, I wish you the best and have fun out there. Maybe I'll pass you on the trail some where.