Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Songs2

Songs2
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am 
HuffPo has now picked up the article and spread it nationally (perhaps other news outlets have as well). The GoFundMe page indicates "nothing larger than a 1 gallon bag." The latest update indicates the family and others anticipate winding down of some search efforts and the need to hire private search parties and K-9 units. https://www.gofundme.com/survival-bags-to-bring-sam-home

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sparkuri

Sparkuri
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 am 
Climbed yesterday afternoon. I only hope that some of us would do the same for me if I was lost. To the strong few that will not leave that mountain until she is found. Hope..

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I may delete this
Please do.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am 
I really hope there isn't a nefarious element to her disappearance. Something just isn't adding up.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
I really hope there isn't a nefarious element to her disappearance. Something just isn't adding up.
2 possibilities: She is unable to rescued, she is unwilling to be rescued.

Moose

Moose
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am 
Update on the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office FB page: Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel continue to search today for missing hiker, 27 year-old Samantha Sayers, who did not return from her day hike at Vesper Peak last Wednesday, August 1. The Sheriff’s Office helicopter, SNOHAWK1, continues air search operations today. The Sheriff’s Office Marine Unit has a vessel on the water searching the shoreline of Spada Lake. Additional teams are on day two of reviewing the high-definition photos and videos taken on Wednesday by King County’s UAS (Drones).

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am 
Hikerdood wrote:
2 possibilities: She is unable to rescued, she is unwilling to be rescued.
I'm concerned that there was someone who didn't want her to be found. I hope I'm wrong.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Something just isn't adding up.
Actually, it's not that surprising that things don't add up when we're probably missing most of the picture. We've been getting fairly limited information filtered primarily through the media and family and friends (think game of telephone). I don't think we have good enough information to tell if something else is going on here, but if there is, that's law enforcement's problem to look into. They have a lot better information than we do and they deal with this sort of thing all the time.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 am 
If there had been something suspicious about her disappearance the search would have been suspended earlier. She's in a place that's difficult to see, either in a crevice or down in the trees. There's no mystery here. In spite of technology, we can't see everywhere.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am 
It's not the missing pieces of information that are strange to me.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 pm 
The idea of leaving out "survival bags" over the area would make sense if someone believes that the patient is mobile, but for some reason missing contact with search crews. This can happen -- I recall a talk by a SAR volunteer about a search for a lost hunter and they search crews had used "caution tape" to mark trails that they had already searched. The patient encountered some of the tape at one point -- and detached it from the trees and tied it around their head. This lost hunter kept moving and eventually (4 days) walked out to the search command post. For whatever reason that Ms Sayers is out of contact -- I hope she is located soon and in good health.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm 
Updated search poster -- now offering a large cash reward

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 pm 
In another recent thread I mentioned a friend who simply tripped and suffered a traumatic brain injury on the trail. After she tripped she also rolled down a slope. It's so easy for me to imagine that happening to a person and them ending up in a spot where it's difficult or impossible to find them, rather than something nefarious.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm 
Seems like if someone was near a trail or regular route a dog would find them. I suppose if they went off a cliff or something, but just a steep slope, I'm sure a dog would follow the scent.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Seems like if someone was near a trail or regular route a dog would find them.
This is the thing I think about. Obviously SAR canines are not always perfect, but they are trained to search in a grid pattern way. It is similar to how avalanche and cadaver dogs search. They find all sorts of things that have human scent on them and alert when they find something. If they are using those types of dogs, they usually are fairly thorough. Tracking dogs are generally different and only track a particular scent. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."