Forum Index > Trip Reports > Elwha to the Hoh - ONP - Aug 6-10, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 am 
My wife dropped me off at the road closure on the Elwha Monday, leaving an 8 mile roadwalk to the beginning of the Boulder Creek trail. Spent a night at the hot springs, a second night at Appleton Pass and two nights at the Olympus Guard Station on the Hoh. It was a wonderful trip, although it would have been nicer if it had been 10 degrees cooler. My writeup and pictures can be found at https://aclayjar.net/2018/08/from-the-elwha-to-the-hoh/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 pm 
whoa! what an adventure! I've done most of your route at different times, only difference is I've only been to Appleton Pass/Oyster Lake via the Sol Duc (unlike you coming from the Elwha) anyway! I enjoyed your trip report and still freaking at the thought of all those frogs eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am 
Nice trip. The Hoh can be very crowded, but not always. I did a solo two-nighter to Lewis Meadow in March of one year and except for the first/last quarter mile saw no one!

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am 
bobbi wrote:
I've done most of your route at different times, only difference is I've only been to Appleton Pass/Oyster Lake via the Sol Duc
I've made the ascent both ways. From the Sol Duc is easier, but less scenic. I usually come up from Boulder Creek because it is closer to home, although with the Elwha washout, it is much longer.
bobbi wrote:
I enjoyed your trip report and still freaking at the thought of all those frogs eek.gif
It reminded me of the 70's movie "The Frogs", except they were only dime sized. But it was definitely a new experience for me. I have no idea what brought them all together in that spot, unless they were newly metamorphosed and had just not dispersed yet.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:21 am 
RAW-dad wrote:
Nice trip. The Hoh can be very crowded, but not always. I did a solo two-nighter to Lewis Meadow in March of one year and except for the first/last quarter mile saw no one!
Yeah, time of year can make all the difference. I was there in August in the midst of a heat wave. There was almost always someone in sight for the couple of miles closest to the trailhead.