Forum Index > Trip Reports > Donohoe Mtn., 07.20.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 pm 
Donohoe Mtn. is more of a hill than a mtn., but for some reason it got the lofty title of "mountain" even though much bigger peaks nearby didn't necessarily get named. confused.gif In any case it's a good weekday morning leg stretcher in the summer months - short 'n steep, no people, & close to town. I had one taker from my group to join me on this hike. I took notes along the way just in case it was wanted for another article (which I later found the answer to be unequivocally 'yes'). I'd been to this hill once, over 5 yrs. ago & it was much greener @ that time since it had been in Feb., not July. embarassedlaugh.gif The trailhead is located off of Marron Valley Rd., south of the 94 in the area of Dulzura/Engineer Springs. The sign @ the TH indicates that it's part of Sycamore Canyon, BLM land, & it mentions a lot of things about where to shoot or not shoot, etc. paranoid.gif Maybe I should've worn orange. hmmm.gif @ the TH:
TH sign
TH sign
Closer view of sign @ TH
Closer view of sign @ TH
We started up the rd. labeled "Donohoe Spur" on google maps, keeping left @ a split & curving southward. Once we reached the base of the SE slope of the peak, I deemed it a good place to start heading up.
Donohoe Mtn.
Donohoe Mtn.
Place to leave rd.
Place to leave rd.
There are some faint wildlife trails going up, but for the most part we bushwhacked it up. The brush is low & easy to get through tho.
Wildlife trail
Wildlife trail
Looking over to Engineer Springs
Looking over to Engineer Springs
Heading up the SE slope of Donohoe Mtn.
Heading up the SE slope of Donohoe Mtn.
Engineer Springs
Engineer Springs
Zoom of Mother Grundy Pk.
Zoom of Mother Grundy Pk.
Almost there
Almost there
We reached the top in no time & took a leisurely break. I snapped some photos of the views as well as a couple of selfies of the two of us to send to our mutual trainer as proof that we indeed hike together...since he always sees us separately, lol. biggrin.gif
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Otay Mtn.
Otay Mtn.
We talked for awhile & then headed back down. After we were a good halfway down the mtn. I realized we prolly could've easily made a lollipop loop out of the deal...but oh well. Next time. wink.gif
Heading back down
Heading back down
Almost down to the rd.
Almost down to the rd.
On the rd. again
On the rd. again
Very short hike
Very short hike
Rt.
Rt.
It's a very short hike, but fits the bill when wanting to get 'er done before the real heat sets in. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message