Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Sunrise Mine and the Bren-Mac Proposal
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:18 am 
The Sunrise Mine Proposal: And the Role of the U.S. Forest Service in Applying the National Environmental Policy Act to a major mining proposal I came across this on Google Books. I had forgotten that Bren-Mac's proposal was to dig a tunnel through Morning Star Peak to the Sunrise Road, build a mill on the Stilliguamish River and pump the tailings down to Boardman Creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GC99

GC99
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am 
The Bren Mac Co. had a really tough time up there. The tunnel ended up being on the Sultan side below the Sunrise mines and in the end no ore came out of it. The dump from the mine is pretty spectacular though, it gives you a great view of the basin. They kept the road up pretty well though when they were running, although now it's almost gone in places. I think the tunnel ended up being about 6000' long although it's caved now.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am 
I knew about the Bren-Mac proposal but didn’t realize the collapsed tunnel was from this project. In a thread on this site about the purpose of the wier on Isabel, I was thinking about that collapsed tunnel and not remembering its exact location and purpose, I couldn’t articulate and no one knew what I was talking about! I wondered if the dam had anything to do with the Isabel project (now I know it didn’t). Glad to know I’m not totally insane and that there is indeed a collapsed tunnel over there. Randy, did you purchase the proposal? I only have a small Signpost article about it being nixed.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Randy, did you purchase the proposal?
No. Stumbled on this as a freebie on Google books.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am 
Dang, that's yet another example of some ambitious mining engineering in the area. I'm surprised they figured they could still turn a profit.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 pm 
Based on the summary on the visible pages, 40 million tons of rock was the planned extraction - trying to wrap my head around that And if 96% stays in the tailings ponds...1.6 million tons of processed ore was to be shipped to Everett (I assume?) for smelting. At 60 tons/car, that's over 26,000 fully loaded ore cars. Huh.