Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Minus Tides are Back!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am 
Midnight mega minus tides are back Nov 12-18, Dec 11-16 http://www.protides.com/washington/2442/

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am 
Night minus tides are great for crabbing...Back in the 70's we would catch our limits (6 each) in less then a half hour. The dungeness crabs then were in the 7-8.5 inch range. All within Seattle city limits. Don't know the reg's now as I am in eastern WA.as to whether it's open now or not. (Another version of crabs live here. They also are caught at night)....

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun May 12, 2013 11:14 am 
More Cowbell wrote:
Midnight mega minus tides are back Nov 12-18, Dec 11-16
Wow those are mega! What about park hours? Admiring sealife by headlamp would be a cool thing.Would cops bother midnight lowtide explorers?

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Jun 21, 2013 7:30 am 
Great low tides this weekend. Get ye to Carkeek, Discovery, etc. for great tide pooling, and rarely exposed sandy beach walking. 6/21 L -2'4" 9:45AM 6/22 L -3'2" 10:32AM 6/23 L -3'8" 11:19AM 6/24 L -3'8" 12:06PM 6/25 L -3'2" 12:54PM 6/26 L -2'3" 1:42PM

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Dec 06, 2014 11:38 am 
To Hell With Low Tides II, It's KING TIDES AGAIN!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif There are some decent high tides this weekend, but from Christmas Eve nearly to New Years are the Monsters of the Winter season. Dot's Tide Chart has Dec. 25-27 at dawn up to 9.7 feet on the Port Townsend gauge which is what I use for M-ville/Everett. Remember, launch canoe an hour before turn at Langus River Front Park or Everett Marina/Jetty Island. Paddle upriver however far you want. Get out. Look for ducks. Drink bean. (Or Jim Beam). Look for ducks. Pee. Hop back in boat, paddle like a mo-fo back down with current. Look for treasures on the way down...lots of stuff breaks loose in the hi tide flood fringe. Great outing. Any weather. See ya on the uphill run! Tom

wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm 
With a good minus tide at Shi-Shi, you can get way out to the very end of Point of Arches. On the north side (you may have to wade a bit), there's a grotto facing the sea; enter it and you'll find light filtering in from a window high on the shoreward side, and you can climb through this to get out without wading again (it's virtually invisible from outside). A good long pole helps balance so you don't have to crush as many of the little guys while you're walking around. Decimation of the sea stars by the plague (they think it's a virus) may already be changing the various littoral populations, because they are apex predators. Salt water is really bad for good leather boots, says Dave Page.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm 
Fun ones this year!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 09, 2022 7:01 pm 
Next week, nice and low, middle of the day.

mosey
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon May 09, 2022 9:29 pm 
I live within walking distance of Brackett's Landing. If I don't feel like driving to go hiking my favorite thing is walking up the beach to Meadowdale or Browns Bay. You can make it 4 or below but might have to climb some rocks rounding the head to Browns Bay. I don't see too many people between the last houses on Soundview Place and Haines Wharf. I've walked up to Picnic Point and back but that's a long one. I've only ever gone south from the dog park once. I'm not sure how easy it is to get around Point Wells. The area north of Point Wells is supposed to be popular with nudists but thankfully I didn't see any. I did get creeped out by some people in a tree fort staring at me just north of Point Wells.