Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal accident on Forbidden Peak in the North Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 6:29 pm 
More bad news from the Wenatchee Paper website. Geez, what a tough week! Cashmere man dies from fall in North Cascades by Pete O'Cain Aug. 7, 2018, 5:40 p.m. NEWHALEM — A 60-year-old Cashmere man died Saturday after he fell from a cliff in North Cascades National Park. Authorities at 4:15 p.m. received a report that Eric Lindblom was climbing unroped on wet rock slabs above a bivy site when he slipped and fell about 100 feet, according to a press release from the North Cascades National Park Service Complex. Forbidden Peak is located about 33 miles south of the U.S.-Canadian border. Lindblom was with three other climbers, who activated an emergency beacon. A helicopter and rescue crew was dispatched from Marblemount, 10 miles away. Rain, wind and lightning made rescue efforts challenging, the release said. Lindblom initially survived the fall and was cared for by bystanders and rescuers, but he ultimately died of his injuries. The Skagit County Coroner ruled the cause of death an accident. Lindblom was the former director of Solomon’s Porch, a center for at-risk teens in Wenatchee. Reach Pete O'Cain at 509-664-7152 or ocain@wenatcheeworld.com. Follow him on Twitter at @PeterOCain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm 
Another tragic event. Rest in Peace Mr. Lindblom

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Merlin

Merlin
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am 
Eric was one of my Scout Masters way back when. He taught me how to really use climbing shoes and split kindling - a really great guy and mentor to many who will be missed, RIP.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 am 
I heard rumor of a second serious accident/fatality occurring on Forbidden shortly before this. Is anyone aware have any details of that?

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am 
slabbyd wrote:
I heard rumor of a second serious accident/fatality occurring on Forbidden shortly before this. Is anyone aware have any details of that?
This one, perhaps (not exactly "shortly" before, though): https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrnw/installations/nas_whidbey_island/news/news_releases/18-076.html

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 am 
Very unfortunate series of missing or rescued hikers this year. Wonder how this compares to other years.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm 
The number of SAR missions has gone up significantly over the last 2 years especially. It coincides with the increased number of cars parked at trailheads.

"May you live in interesting times"
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
I imagine with the influx of people to wa thus an increase in the number of hikers. I suppose the chances of mishaps increase. Also new hikers maybe hiking in places above their abilities.