Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goode Mountain via NE Buttress, Storm King, Mount Logan via Fremont Glacier - August 6-10, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm 
Trace, Damon, and I climbed these three peaks in one trip this week. I've wanted to do this trip for a long time and I knew this was the right group to make it happen. We dropped a car at Thunder Creek and started hiking from the Bridge Creek Trailhead at 10:30 AM on Monday. It was hot and smoky. Before we knew it, we'd hiked 15 miles to the Bridge Creek ford directly below the NE Buttress of Goode. After a knee-deep crossing, we proceeded up some talus towards the waterfall on the left, then climbed slabs to its right. I stupidly climbed some weird slab moves unroped through here and set a hand line for Trace and Damon. Once past the slabs, we climbed through alder tunnels and with only a little bushwhacking, reaching open terrain and a great tent site at ~5400.'
Damon fording Bridge Creek
Damon fording Bridge Creek
Up to this waterfall, then climb slabs on the right
Up to this waterfall, then climb slabs on the right
Waterfall from the slabs
Waterfall from the slabs
Alder tunnel
Alder tunnel
Camp
Camp
NE Buttress comes down and right directly off the summit
NE Buttress comes down and right directly off the summit
We were moving towards the Goode Glacier at first light. Accessing the glacier was a bit tricky for us. We probably botched this part of the route...we went hard left then climbed through some icy serac sections, which was tricky in aluminum crampons and with a single axe. After getting onto the glacier, we weaved through some crevasses and found a decent access point to the NE Buttress at 6800'. As soon as the sun hit the glacier we started hearing giant "WHOOMPH"s and saw some serac collapses near where we had just walked. This got my blood pumping a bit and made me think we probably should have come earlier in the season. Damon led an awkward fifth class pitch onto the ridge crest and we started scrambling up the NE Buttress.
Goode alpenglow
Goode alpenglow
Logan
Logan
Damon leading up to the crest
Damon leading up to the crest
Once on the crest, we scrambled exposed and solid class 3/4 rock to 8200' where the ridge steepened into fifth class terrain. We'd lost quite a bit of time dealing with the glacier and were worried about being benighted on route. Damon is a much better/faster rock leader than Trace or I, so he agreed to lead pretty much the entire route to the summit. The climbing is mostly class 4/low 5 with a couple distinct 5.4 cruxes about 2/3 of the way up the ridge. Solid rock, positive holds, exposed climbing, and incredible views. Pure fun! Four or five long pitches led us to the huge ledge at 8600'. We were low on water at this point and found a snow patch around the corner, so we took a long break to melt snow. We also watched as the Crescent Mountain fire exploded into a huge mushroom cloud, enveloping the surrounding area with smoke.
Damon low on the NEB
Damon low on the NEB
Trace scrambling down low
Trace scrambling down low
Damon near where we started the roped pitches
Damon near where we started the roped pitches
Looking down from near the giant ledge
Looking down from near the giant ledge
Crescent Mountain Fire
Crescent Mountain Fire
Fire blowing up
Fire blowing up
Logan
Logan
So glad to find this snow, we carried 3 liters each and it wasn't nearly enough in the baking heat
So glad to find this snow, we carried 3 liters each and it wasn't nearly enough in the baking heat
Looking down the route at Goode's shadow
Looking down the route at Goode's shadow
Trace high on the NEB
Trace high on the NEB
From the ledge, we climbed the right-hand arete and headed for the summit. A mixture of simul-climbing and pitched climbing on low fifth class rock led us to the perfect bivy sites at the summit. There is a small tent site with just enough room for a small 2-person tent, and two small bivy sites. What a place! We boiled some water for dinner and tea and soaked in the evening views. This has to be one of the better campsites in the Cascades. It was warm, calm, and clear. We decided to skip the tent and sleep under the stars. It was surreal to watch the glow from the Crescent Mountain fire light up the surrounding mountains.
Buds on Goode
Buds on Goode
Fernow group and Bonanza
Fernow group and Bonanza
Glacier, Dome, Spire Point
Glacier, Dome, Spire Point
Fire and Goode's shadow
Fire and Goode's shadow
Spider and Formidable
Spider and Formidable
Jack and Ragged Ridge
Jack and Ragged Ridge
McGregor
McGregor
Sunset behind Baker
Sunset behind Baker
Alpenglow on smoke
Alpenglow on smoke
Baker and Shuksan
Baker and Shuksan
It doesn't get much better than this
It doesn't get much better than this
The next morning, we packed up camp and made three rappels to the ledge traverse to Black Tooth Notch. We'd heard this ledge was class 4, but we found no such route. I scoped it out and didn't like what I found - difficult and awkward moves with huge exposure. We belayed the traverse then made three rappels from the notch down into the SW couloir. From there it was just a standard Cascadian class 3 choss gully the rest of the way.
Sunrise over smoke layer
Sunrise over smoke layer
Rappels for breakfast
Rappels for breakfast
View from rappel
View from rappel
Traverse to Black Tooth Notch
Traverse to Black Tooth Notch
Gully descent
Gully descent
Chossy descent, the usual
Chossy descent, the usual
We made the short but chossy traverse over to Storm King. A mixture of snow, talus, and hideous scree brought us to the base of the peak with multiple gullies to choose from. Summitpost helped us find the correct gully.
Traverse to Storm King
Traverse to Storm King
Storm King
Storm King
Fun
Fun
Incorrect gully on the left, correct gully on the right
Incorrect gully on the left, correct gully on the right
From the top of the correct gully we traversed an awkward and fairly exposed class 3 ledge. After this we probably messed up the route. We kept traversing to a rib, then climbed class 3/4 to a notch just north of the summit. Damon and I descended a rotten and exposed gully and climbed some fifth class to the summit, while Trace proved wiser and asked for a belay. From the summit we rappelled off the east face, which seemed to be easy class 3 terrain. I also referenced a photo from Fletcher's TR and it seems he and Reed went this way and had no problem climbing and descending without a rope. Oops.
Damon and Trace working the ledge traverse
Damon and Trace working the ledge traverse
Goode from Storm King - NE Buttress runs continuously from the summit all the way down to the bottom of the photo
Goode from Storm King - NE Buttress runs continuously from the summit all the way down to the bottom of the photo
Damon rappelling off Storm King - we probably should have come up this way
Damon rappelling off Storm King - we probably should have come up this way
We traversed back to the base of Goode's SW couloir route then descended a cairned route until we lost the trail in a recent burn. The old Goode climbers' trail doesn't really exist anymore but travel is easy enough if you stay right on the ridge. Once on the Park Creek Trail, we hiked a few miles up towards Park Creek Pass and camped in a mosquito breeding ground directly south of the pass.
Traversing back from Storm King
Traversing back from Storm King
Descending through burn
Descending through burn
Buckner from the Park Creek Trail
Buckner from the Park Creek Trail
We camped somewhere in here and it was buggy as hell
We camped somewhere in here and it was buggy as hell
In the morning we hiked over Park Creek Pass and found the climbers trail to Logan's Fremont Glacier route (at approximately 5800', just north of Park Creek Pass, marked with a cairn). The trail is indistinct in places and we lost it right at a confusing stream gully crossing. We climbed up the gully until we found the crossing at 6240' and continued on a trail/cairned route from there to the Fremont Glacier. The bugs, especially the flies, were awful.
Climbing to Park Creek Pass in the morning
Climbing to Park Creek Pass in the morning
Buckner alpenglow
Buckner alpenglow
Looking for a gully crossing
Looking for a gully crossing
Buckner to Forbidden
Buckner to Forbidden
Hiding from the bugs
Hiding from the bugs
Pleasant terrain to the Fremont
Pleasant terrain to the Fremont
The Fremont Glacier is really mellow and soon enough we found ourselves at the hogsback formation that people use to access the scramble route on Logan. The hogsback was mostly melted out and required crossing a thin snow bridge above a deep moat. Luckily, we found a safe crossing immediately down and right of the hogsback. We stepped onto rock and climbed about 20 feet of class 4/low 5 to easier class 3 terrain above the hogsback and the standard route.
Current condition of the hogsback, we didn't think it was safe
Current condition of the hogsback, we didn't think it was safe
The scramble route on Logan is easy, but three days of exposed no-fall-zone climbing was beginning to take its toll on my mental state. I took my time as we followed a cairned ledge traverse across an exposed gully, up a talus slope to a false summit, and finally up to the true summit. The views were exceptional even with the all the smoke.
Beginning the traverse on Logan
Beginning the traverse on Logan
Talus to the false summit
Talus to the false summit
Another false summit from the true summit
Another false summit from the true summit
We made one rappel to get back to the glacier, then headed down. The descent was HOT. I had to stop about halfway through to sit in the shade of a larch grove and chug water. When we got back to our gear stash near Park Creek Pass, all I wanted to do was sleep. It's amazing the amount of energy that the heat takes out of me. We took a multi-hour break here waiting for the worst of the heat to pass. I think I drank 7 or 8 liters of water on this day and still ended up dehydrated when we got to camp.
Trace descending Logan
Trace descending Logan
Exposure is present
Exposure is present
Descending the Fremont
Descending the Fremont
Descending with Sahale and Boston in the smoke
Descending with Sahale and Boston in the smoke
Logan larch
Logan larch
There was talk of slogging all the way out to the car that night, but the heat had taken its toll, and we decided to spend the night at Skagit Queen camp instead. The following morning we hiked out 15 easy miles to the car and it was pleasant and cool.
Thunder Creek shrooms
Thunder Creek shrooms
Skagit Queen mine ruins
Skagit Queen mine ruins
Overall this is one of the most enjoyable trips I've ever done, made all the better by two excellent partners. Thanks for the trip guys!
Goode route
Goode route
Logan route
Logan route

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 8:55 am 
Excellent work fellas! Looks like you had a good time! (See how I resisted going full pun there?! I deserve a gold star. biggrin.gif ) I'm surprised it wasn't more smoky up there. That heat sounds miserable! up.gif up.gif up.gif

neek

neek
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 am 
Looks great, if somewhat terrifying!

rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 6:23 pm 
Awesome work u 3. Looks like an incredible trip. We also got very hot descending Logan; must have relaxed in the exact same larch grove.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 am 
nice work connecting those 3 peaks up.gif keep on getting after it!

Eric Eames
Damonexplores
Damonexplores

Damonexplores
Damonexplores
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 12:24 pm 
It was a Black Diamond pole that had been taken apart into two separate pieces and girth hitched a piece of blue tat around. It looked to be a few years old.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm 
This is a very impressive trip. Congrats on all the summits.

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 pm 
Bodacious work gents, and very inspiring. No denying anymore your full-blown Bulger addiction, Jake...

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm 
Thanks Reed! And also thanks for expanding my vocabulary with every post. What's a Bulger?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 am 
That's a very full itinerary. Cool trip!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:40 pm 
Awesome photos! That one of logan from Goode high camp looks exactly like the one I took. Such a perfect place

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:50 pm 
Lol damn that's gotta be the first bulger meme I've ever seen. What an impressive trip - nice work guys! Super jealous.

Stuke Sowle

Stuke Sowle
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 pm 
Figured you must have done a TR for this trip so thought I would stop by and fuel a bit of stoke for tomorrow despite my rather "mundane" route compared to this one. Excellent stuff Jake!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:28 pm 
Thanks for the kind words Stuke. I would hardly call a 100 mile day hike "mundane", good luck out there!