Forum Index > Trip Reports > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot

Sir-Hikes-A-Lot
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 am 

It is by standing up for the rights of girls and women that we truly measure up as men. - Desmond Tutu
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 am 
Very nice creek shots! And amazing chipmunk capture. Do you ever not see a bear on a hike?? It seems weird to me that no one is maintaining the Indian Creek trail, especially after the White River trail was abandoned. What kind of vehicle does the road currently require?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 1:48 pm 
Good TR and pics up.gif Sad to hear the trail is not being maintained. Saul > IH traverse is a very fine 2-3 trip, albeit not often done. I have fond memories of our camp in Amber Creek Cirque.

NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:57 pm 
Great TR! Shame about the smoke, but made up for ten fold with the bear sighting! Good stuff

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm 
Nice buck! I really like that view of the White River from the bridge right at the trailhead too, it is indeed a good start to a hike.

gb

gb
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 am 
Thanks for the Trip Report. That looks like a very beautiful classic Glacier Peak area. I, too, am surprised there is no maintenance what with the apparent loss of the White River trail.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 9:23 am 
Enjoyed your report immensely. It is an example of why nwhikers continues to be a valued resource. Fresh information on conditions.....and the bonus of vocabulary enhancement. "hysterical brush" Perfect.

CRCoug

CRCoug
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm 
Thanks Sir-Hikes-A-Lot for the detailed trip report. I'm not a very experienced back country hiker but really enjoy getting out there. My cousin, with moderate back country experience, is arranging a loop hike in a few weeks that starts at the White River trail, down the short section of the PCT and back via Indian Creek. He visited the trail head about a month a go to check things out, but didn't hike in. The plan is to cover the ~26 miles over two and a half days, camping two nights. I'm in good shape but this will be my first time packing in for two nights. Are we totally crazy attempting this trip given the trail reports I've read about the White River trail not being maintained and read your comments about the downed trees and brush on the Indian Creek trail? I was really getting excited about this adventure but don't want to be an idiot and try something that would turn out miserable. Thanks PS I'm also keeping an eye on the fire / smoke situation. Hoping Cougar Creek improves and no new fires begin

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm 
CRCoug--a badly overgrown, unmaintained trail might not be much fun for your first 3 day trip. You can access the same general area from the same trail head utilizing either Cady Creek, Cady Ridge or Little Wenatchee River. You can make a shorter loop using any two of those, but you could also go further north on the PCT and then do a little backtracking. That whole area is wonderful, lots of wide open meadows to wander through. It's a totally different access point, but the NF Sauk/White Pass/Blue Lake/Pilot Ridge loop hits the PCT in that general vicinity as well.

CRCoug

CRCoug
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm 
Thanks for the advise. You are validating what my gut was telling me. I'll check out the other suggested routes. We were excited to experience the views from that loop hike but I'm guessing the other routes can serve up some nice views as well. I'll let you all know what we decide. Thanks again, much appreciated.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:25 pm 
Interesting loop. I hadn't considered doing that traverse half-way smile.gif. That Buck is gorgeous. You really do get to see the best wildlife.