Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Living In Twisp?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm 
Tell me about it please. Considering. After alot of looking, I think we've ruled out Leavenworth. CleElum / Teanaway is very appealing. I'd like to hear positives and negatives of Twisp. We're afraid if we move that far from Kirkland, nobody will come over to see us, but, what we can get for our $$$, Twisp is very attractive. Thanks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
We're afraid if we move that far from Kirkland, nobody will come over to see us,
Years ago when I was in the Army a buddy was from Twisp. He and I backpacked along Ross Lake then went to his parents' home for a day or two. We went tubing down that little river in town. Very fun. You'll have a lot of attractions for people to enjoy--especially the winter cross-country skiing. ~z

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 pm 
Are you married? Single women seem to struggle to find worthy mates. Could be a benefit if you're a single guy. Are you retired? Gainful employment is hard to find. Some piece together various forms of service/gig/artist work. Might explain the above phenomenon also. Do you require culture/entertainment? Everything shuts down at 9pm. If you're good with the occasional local bluegrass band playing in the corner of your favorite coffee shop from 5-8pm on Friday, and other than that curling up with a book or Netflix (depending on your internet), you should be good. Isolation can be an eventual deal breaker for people up here. Are you okay with smoke/fire hazard? Take a look at current conditions, or years prior. Statistically, your likelihood of losing your home is not great compared to (I don't know where anymore). How far are you from the nearest fire station? How many trees/brush are growing near your place? See also: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1133209#1133209 Do you like snow/shoveling/making fires? Living in a winter environment isn't just the cross-country skiing (which is great). It's warming your car up for 20 mins, scraping the windshields, shoveling your driveway... dealing with sub-freezing temps. Not the deepest snowpack in the West, but not the West side of the Cascades by any stretch. My cousin bailed after 3 years because she was relatively young (early to mid 30s) & eligible but nothing was clicking. She had a great job, good community building, loves all the outdoor sports and snow out there, but it wasn't spelling a future for her. I'm in my early 40s, single, and I can't see settling down in a place like that until my 50s or later, and that's either with a life partner or resolving to not have one!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm 
FWIW: Some of my former colleagues from MSFT have ex-wives living in Twisp in stupidly large houses. OTH: The instructor from a WFR course I took a few years ago used to live in a yurt in Twisp -- after his "mail order" Russian bride arrived and she commented "I didn't think it would be so small" he was DIY building a house using ICF. So from what I can tell Twisp is a "Soup to Nuts" community.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm 
WolverineWay wrote:
Are you married? Single women seem to struggle to find worthy mates. Could be a benefit if you're a single guy. Are you retired? Gainful employment is hard to find. Some piece together various forms of service/gig/artist work. Might explain the above phenomenon also. Do you require culture/entertainment? Everything shuts down at 9pm. If you're good with the occasional local bluegrass band playing in the corner of your favorite coffee shop from 5-8pm on Friday, and other than that curling up with a book or Netflix (depending on your internet), you should be good. Isolation can be an eventual deal breaker for people up here. Are you okay with smoke/fire hazard? Take a look at current conditions, or years prior. Statistically, your likelihood of losing your home is not great compared to (I don't know where anymore). How far are you from the nearest fire station? How many trees/brush are growing near your place? See also: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1133209#1133209 Do you like snow/shoveling/making fires? Living in a winter environment isn't just the cross-country skiing (which is great). It's warming your car up for 20 mins, scraping the windshields, shoveling your driveway... dealing with sub-freezing temps. Not the deepest snowpack in the West, but not the West side of the Cascades by any stretch. My cousin bailed after 3 years because she was relatively young (early to mid 30s) & eligible but nothing was clicking. She had a great job, good community building, loves all the outdoor sports and snow out there, but it wasn't spelling a future for her. I'm in my early 40s, single, and I can't see settling down in a place like that until my 50s or later, and that's either with a life partner or resolving to not have one!
Thanks Brother! Married and mostly empty nesters. Adult daughters are in serious relationships. We are seeing them less and less although I like to think / believe they still live with us. Their mail comes here wink.gif We are in our early 50's. My wife is a professional photographer and I'm a General Contractor. I'll still need to work, but only part time. Snow & cold doesn't scare us. In fact, that's what we're looking. A true winter. Yes, I'm familiar with the Carlton complex fire. I've fly-fished the Methow many times and only know Twisp & Winthrop only when passing through. The area is absolutely beautiful. My dream would be Methow riverfront. With acerage. Vista view property would also be ideal. I love wildlife. I see lots of properties in Twisp that are intriguing and what you can get there compared to Leavenworth, CleElum or the Teanaway is much more for the $

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 pm 
Too many fires around Twisp. I think your best choice is Cle Ellum, Backpacker Joe lives there so it must be uber cool. rocker.gif I prefer Idaho or Montana myself. On the NW side, I like Darrington and the outlying areas, closer to the North Cascades.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 am 
There's a house in Twisp I've had my eye on, near Poorman Creek. Love that area, the whole upper valley, and the North Cascades. Wonderful skiing in the winter. I don't think I could handle living there with the smoke. redface.gif eek.gif frown.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Wonderful cross country skiing in the winter.
Fixed it for you. Lift skiing (Loup Loup) is hit and miss. Bigger hill with more reliable snow is a very long drive. Touring requires a bit of a drive too, although Winthrop or Mazama is in a pretty good position for May-June touring at WA Pass, Silver Star, etc.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
after his "mail order" Russian bride arrived and she commented "I didn't think it would be so small"
Ouch!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 2:22 pm 
I've had the same idea as you, bootpathguy. For a while now. Have considered many east of the mountains locations, all the way to Spokane, with a special love for the Methow Valley. But. With the events of the last five years - and now this year - the final nail has been put in the coffin of my idea of relocating east. The two major drawbacks, which are related, are the wildfire danger and the persistent hazardous air quality. This is especially true of the Twisp/Winthrop area specifically and Eastern WA generally. i.e, Twisp air quality has been hazardous to very hazardous for weeks now. Would you have a plan for dealing with those two things? Secondarily, Twisp/Winthrop are just a bit too far from good medical care. Which may not be a factor for you right now (lucky you), but it has become more of a consideration for me. Thirdly, it's just too hot in the summer. Long-time resident Sally Portman wrote a book on the Methow Valley, The Smiling Country. I've not read it - I swear I will someday - but I love the title. I've long thought that, yes, her title described the area perfectly. Not so much anymore. There are too many times now when it does not smile.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
For a while now. Have considered many east of the mountains locations, all the way to Spokane, with a special love for the Methow Valley. But. With the events of the last five years - and now this year - the final nail has been put in the coffin of my idea of relocating east. The two major drawbacks, which are related, are the wildfire danger and the persistent hazardous air quality. This is especially true of the Twisp/Winthrop area specifically and Eastern WA generally. i.e, Twisp air quality has been hazardous to very hazardous for weeks now. Would you have a plan for dealing with those two things? Secondarily, Twisp/Wintrhrop are just a bit too far from good medical care. Which may not be a factor for you right now (lucky you), but it has become more of a consideration for me. Thirdly, it's just too hot in the summer.
Thanks! Good things to consider. Appreciated

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
The two major drawbacks, which are related, are the wildfire danger and the persistent hazardous air quality.
AlpineRose wrote:
Secondarily, Twisp/Winthrop are just a bit too far from good medical care.
True dat! But the west side has a potential eruption hazard (Rainier) and tsunami hazard (the over due big one that's coming). Not to mention traffic and other craziness there. The east side gets smoke a few weeks a year, yeah. But they boast 300 days of non-rain (they no longer call it sunshine). AND, a lot of very good doctors from all over the world have migrated to Wenatchee because it is an outdoor gateway (nearby hiking and Mission Ridge skiing).. Both my wife and I have had major cancer recently and felt no need to go west for treatment. There is no perfect place...you just have to filter your options.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm 
Maine is looking more attractive all the time. The smoke situation will only get worse as summers get warmer and fire seasons get longer. Mark my word, in another decade or so the fires will be cranking up by mid July and we'll be living with smoke and terrible air quality from July - September. If I can't recreate outdoors in the summer, what's the point of living here?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
.....The smoke situation will only get worse as summers get warmer and fire seasons get longer. Mark my word, in another decade or so the fires will be cranking up by mid July and we'll be living with smoke and terrible air quality from July - September. If I can't recreate outdoors in the summer, what's the point of living here?
It IS something to think about. I was listening to an interview with climate reporter who talked about (my summation)... “some people think what we are seeing the new normal....but with most of the climate change metrics still trending upwards....what if what we are see today is the ‘the new best’......and the ‘new average’ and ‘new worst’ may well be much worse”. That said, I’ve lived most of my life in the Methow. Previous posts have hit the pluses and minuses pretty well. My 2 cents: 1. The area is changing VERY rapidly, and not always for the best. 2. For those of us at or near retirement age....it probably is too far away from good healthcare. Oh....right now the air quality is 475!!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Maine is looking more attractive all the time
I have a cousin that lives in Northport, ME it works for her. Skiing is of the tilted ice rink variety, OTH the skating on nearby lakes is amazing.