radka

radka
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 11:10 am 

The future is yard birds
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 12:10 pm 
PCT is open according to the last inciweb update. And that section is not listed as closed on the PCTA website either.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 pm 
McLeod Fire: 10,000 acres; 0% contained ● Personnel:352 Up from 4000 acres yesterday. Crescent Mtn fire just ordered Level 3 evacuation west of Buttermilk Creek

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:47 pm 
Drove home from Lewiston, Idaho today and the smoke started at Wilbur and got worse as I neared Omak. Omak is socked in big time and there was/is a brush fire about 3 miles to the north. I may restock my trailer and take off again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:11 pm 
No wonder. Omak (and Twisp) air quality is at the "hazardous" level.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 pm 
My wife and I spent 4 days at Ocean Shores this week to get away from Wenatchee smoke (and celebrate our 40th anniversary). We had a beach cabin and could hardly see the water, so never walked the beach the entire time. But had a nice relaxing time while there. As we were leaving a nice breeze was blowing and we could actually see boats/ships out in the water.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
We had a beach cabin and could hardly see the water, so never walked the beach the entire time.
Congratulations! HTT, you and your wife. That's quite a milestone. Re: your comment. Was this due to smoke too? It's hard to get away from this stuff. ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
"...our 40th anniversary..."
up.gif party.gif party.gif party.gif party.gif party.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 am 
zephyr wrote:
Congratulations! HTT, you and your wife. That's quite a milestone. Re: your comment. Was this due to smoke too? It's hard to get away from this stuff. ~z
Thanks folks! This photo was taken with my phone from the deck of our cabin. You can see the haze. One morning we woke up and could barely tell there were structures on the spit across the water. But we are glad we went. Otherwise it would have been a missed opportunity.
Ocean Shores
Ocean Shores

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:08 am 
Last night (Saturday 8/18) there was an infrared overflight for each fire you see below. Using that data, fire staff determined the latest perimeter and acres burned. Crescent Mountain fire, aka Gilbert fire. 24,853 acres Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.388168,-120.486031&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,Gilbert Cougar Creek fire. 36,550 acres Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.812930,-120.485687&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,cougar_creek McLeod fire. 11,663 acres Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.685527,-120.363464&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,McLeod

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm 
The map is showing a couple orange dots east of Kindy creek near buckindy that I hadn't noticed before. Any info on that area?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
The map is showing a couple orange dots east of Kindy creek near buckindy that I hadn't noticed before. Any info on that area?
Keep in mind that the satellite hotspots can sometimes report 'false positives'. No idea if that is the case with the 2 spots you describe. Here is the official explainer from NASA. https://landweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/NPP_QA/displayCase.cgi?esdt=NPP_AF&caseNum=PM_NPP_VAFIP_18215&caseLocation=cases_data

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
From the Wenatchee World
Quote:
Updated, 2:45 p.m. Sunday: PLAIN — A Level 1 fire advisory notification is in place residents in the Plain area due wind changes on the Cougar Creek Fire north of Entiat. Winds have shifted directions and are currently pushing the 36,000-plus-acre fire to the southwest, according to Chelan County Emergency Management. Areas included in the Level 1 notices are: Chumstick Road north to Merry Canyon (both sides of the road) Merry Canyon; Second Creek and Moon Canyon Plain, Ponderosa Pines, Plain River Road and other nearby subdivisions Chiwawa Loop Road to include Chiwawa River Pines All areas from Fish Lake and Lake Wenatchee to Coles Corner Crews on Sunday are working the fire’s western and southern edges, looking to prevent spread to the west, according to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
I noticed those hot spots that are west of the Entiat Summit Road, especially a couple around Sugarloaf. Whether false positive or not, sounds like they are taking them seriously. Visible satellite and Fish Lake weather station confirm that the wind is coming from the NE, although gentle. Keeping fingers crossed for Plain and the Chumstick, where many reside.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Updated, 2:45 p.m. Sunday: PLAIN — A Level 1 fire advisory notification is in place residents in the Plain area due wind changes on the Cougar Creek Fire north of Entiat
That just got updated to a level 2 as per this news release: Cougar Creek Fire - Evacuation Level Changes effective today at 4:30pm: As of 4:30pm today, 8/20/18, Chelan County is implementing Level 2 (GET SET) evacuation notifications on Chiwawa Loop Rd from Plain out to the intersection with Chiwawa River Rd, both sides of the roadway. This includes Chiwawa River Pine Community and Shugart Flats Community and all roads that intersect with the Chiwawa Loop Road in the affected area. Plain is remaining at a Level 1.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 pm 
I really hope this is just the intensity of the smoke plume and the fire did not actually jump Lake Chelan ...