Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > King County library lets you copy its e-books
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justan

Justan
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 9:25 am 
cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif For audio-book addicts, the King County Library System has something for you and you don't even have to set foot in a library. Last November, the county library became the first in the nation to allow people to download audio "e-books" to home computers. An e-book can be downloaded from the library's Web site onto a computer and either burned to a CD or transferred to an MP3 player. For free http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002165499_ebooks31m.html

-Justan Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 7:48 pm 
At the download site for each book, it says "28 day lending period" by the download button. Does that mean it deletes itself in 28 days, or is this an honor system thing?

NWHiker Whipping Boy

NWHiker Whipping Boy
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 9:15 pm 
It just probably renders itself useless such as your average "evaluation period" apps. It said if you burn it, you can listen to it past that.......... Maybe this is the solution to the libary funding problems.... Now we just need someone to post there libary card tongue.gif

Justan

Justan
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 11:49 pm 
I haven’t tried it yet either, but think the idea is awesome! I’ve wanted to check out audio books for some time. I have a longish commute and usually listen to music. Hearing a classic tale well told would be a nice alternative way to enjoy the journey -- and could be addictive. The current restriction on ebooks is due to the number of books, er, reader licenses available. Each loan is for 4 weeks, and they don’t want the “book” returned early, and as said, unless you re-record the book it deactivates itself after a while. I bet the library got a pretty big surge as a result of the article. What is coolest is that this is effectively a test and will hopefully lead to more and more library resources being available to everyone on the internet. At least everyone with a library card…..I wonder how long before the library of congress will be available to web surfers?

-Justan Elk