Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > What happened in mass extinctions 55 mya great read
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am 
This is worth a read as it explains the gathering of evidence and the use of proxies for a great and rapid mass extinction event that occurred 55 million years ago in the ocean from fossil records. It shows what the worst consequences of rapid global warming could be and how rapidly they could take place. Changes in ocean currents because of GW precipitated this event. A very interesting read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK231944/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 am 
James Churchward, in his 1926 Classic Lost Continent of Mu, Motherland of Man (re-edited in 1931 as The Lost Continent of Mu), claimed that Mu "was completely obliterated in almost a single night". The Book of Genesis tells of a cataclysmic event in which the entire earth was destroyed by a flood. The same "great flood" story is found in virtually every culture's mythology throughout history, from Gilgamesh up to the Old Testament and everything in between. Current day academic studies could reasonably lead one to conclude that there must be some basis of truth in what those same academics consider the "myths" of past cultures and ideologies. It is only our own arrogance that prevents us from accepting the fact that we are not the first age of man on this planet, and most likely not the last. We are only visitors here on this temporal plane. To believe that all things will remain as they are into perpetuity is only willful ignorance; the only constant in the universe is change. Only the ocean is forever. see also: Wystan Hugh Auden - As I Walked Out One Evening

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 pm 
Sounds like its a deep ocean event that was limited or undetectable effect on our portion of the planet.

gb

gb
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:35 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Sounds like its a deep ocean event that was limited or undetectable effect on our portion of the planet.
I don't think you can draw that conclusion but undetectable apparently. It is mentioned in the article that they could not tie it to other parts of the ocean because of the lack of stratigraphic record and that would be the problem certainly for areas away from the ocean where you would not have the fossils of 'epifauna' (new word), and stratigraphic layering would also be more intermittent on land. I think one can say that there would have been a substantial affect on land because of the significance of the surmised global temperature rise - wasn't it something like from 10 up to 18C? Pretty interesting read, though. I had heard of this event at one time on Skeptical Science but otherwise I knew nothing about it.