Forum Index > Food & Grub > Where to find Wild Garden Hummus To Go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tuskadero

Tuskadero
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:32 pm 
I used to buy these at Cost Plus locally for backpacking trips. Last time I went in they weren’t carrying them anymore. Does anyone know where I can pick them up locally?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 pm 
PCC sells hummus powder in the bulk section. Lighter to carry and much better shelf life.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 pm 
I get it from Trader Joe's. 7 oz. = $1.99 Good stuff. Small plastic container. Keeps for a few days if you can find a stream to ditch it in to keep it cool.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tuskadero

Tuskadero
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 pm 
Excellent. I’m going to give the powder a try. I’m going out for 9 days next week to do the Southern Sierra High Route. Need to find ways to save space in my Bearikade.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm 
I think you might be able to find the dried stuff at Fred Meyer too (not positive about dried hummus, but they do have a bulk food section in most of their stores.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 pm 
Not hummus, but check out whatever dried soup mixtures are in the PCC bulk bins. In the past, the soups we've used were dried lentil, pea, and black bean. Not so much as soups on their own (although they can certainly be used for that), but combined with couscous, dehydrated potatoes or instant rice.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
"...dried lentil, pea, and black bean..."
I'm not a big fan of pea soup, but I have tried both the lentil and black bean dry soup mixes. Both are okay. Both are better "doctored up" a bit. To the lentil one (which was my favorite of the two) I would add: - a little of the dried vegetable mix - sun dried tomatoes - raw cashews The thing I liked about the soup mixes was that ALL the water that goes into preparation is consumed, unlike cooking rice or pasta. A factor to consider for overnight trips up to fire lookouts.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:56 pm 
If you can't find the powdered hummus in bulk, try looking near the instant Asian meals and cous cous. I've found boxed powdered hummus there a few times. Bulk is cheaper though.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am 
I've bought the Wild Garden individual packs on Amazon a few times. They're nice since they don't require refrigeration. Still haven't tried dried stuff yet but I think that will be on the list for my next multi-day trip.

EJ

EJ
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am 
I've bought the boxed dried hummus at Whole Foods in the past, but that was a while ago. Last summer I experimented with making my own dried hummus. I took a basic homemade hummus recipe, leaving out the oil/tahini, and dehydrated it. I then added a bit of peanut butter powder to the dried mixture. It rehydrated really well and was really tasty, though perhaps not the most authentic hummus in the world.

AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut

AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 12:33 pm 
I find them at Grocery Outlet sometimes for like.25 or maybe even less than that. Sure, they are heavier than the dehydrated stuff, but convenient for day trips.

astronaut