boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:14 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
boot up wrote:
The SUP is definitely a lot more work
Have you seen this trip report? I don't SUP, but this account of paddling Ross Lake in winter by two intrepid guys is one of my favorites. They even carttied their camping gear on deck! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024125&highlight=ross+lk+lake
It is pretty common to see dogs, families and all sorts of stuff cruising the lakes on SUP's around here. My favorite is seeing families with their entire camping rig on SUP's with the kids cruising behind like little ducklings.
Family Camping with a SUP, Sparks Lake

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:50 pm 
boot up wrote:
My favorite is seeing families with their entire camping rig on SUP's with the kids cruising behind like little ducklings.
That's impressive..... but it wouldn't work out so great when the afternoon winds kick up on Ross Lake, probably resulting in the lake-surface equivalent of a yard sale. hockeygrin.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
That's impressive..... but it wouldn't work out so great when the afternoon winds kick up on Ross Lake, probably resulting in the lake-surface equivalent of a yard sale. hockeygrin.gif
rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif I've heard some horror stories about the wind from paddlers in sea kayaks, which have some capability to handle wind by design, so I can imagine how "well" those famed afternoon winds would go on an SUP, not to mention an SUP is a terribly inefficient mode of long distance travel even under ideal conditions. Oh well, I guess to each their own.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am 
Great photos! I hiked this area last summer, but my thoughts at the time were that it might be a better option to do it in a kayak. How did you get your kayaks down to the lake? Seems like there is a shuttle you can get through Seattle City Light, but I'm wondering if there are other options as well.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I personally do not think SUP's are "transportation", and can't see the point of what they are doing in the video dragging their SUP's around on the snow. If I want to cover serious ground on a lake, especially with a wind, I use our Hobie pedal kayak. I literally can run circles around most SUP's out there with the Pedal kayak, and faster than most paddle kayaks, even when towing my wife on her SUP. And wind and waves is just not an issue in the pedal kayak. But if I am just dinking around on a lake, the SUP is a whole lot easier to get up there and deploy. Weighing 22 pounds instead of 85 pounds and needing a lot less gear. Both are good exercise.

friluftsliv
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 pm 
I like the idea of a SUP. Stand, sit, kneel or take a knee! I started looking at inflatables because my place is small and my car is smaller! Otherwise I'd get a canoe. I've always loved them! Has anyone read "Path Of The Paddle" by Bill Mason? Great book!

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 pm 
Brucester wrote:
I started looking at inflatables because my place is small and my car is smaller!
We went with inflatables but the rest of the extended family in Bend uses hardshells. Not all inflatables are created equal. My first experience was on an old borrowed inflatable. That almost turned me off to SUPs forever. Eventually we bought an inflatable Red Paddle 10-6 Ride for my wife, for portability. Eventually I tried the sport again and found out its a different world with decent gear. We recently bought our second SUP, as hoisting the unladen 65 pound kayak up onto the car is literally a pain. Red Paddle 11-3 Sport is our new favorite, and we take turns on who gets the Sport. Sort of the difference between an adequate sedan and a sports car. Warning..... Inflating a inflatable at the destination, on a hot day, is a major workout in itself. Add an extra 20 minutes to inflate, but at least deflating and rolling is only a couple minutes. We (actually my wife can't get it above 5 psi, so I inflate both) now inflate ours at home, and leave them inflated for the season. At just over 20 pounds they are easy to strap onto the car inflated. Great core workout, whether you kneel, sit or stand on them. Albeit standing is really a good workout! If you want efficiency, a pedal kayak is the way to go. And we will likely still use the kayaks when the weather and water is too cold to risk falling in.

friluftsliv
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
How did you get your kayaks down to the lake?
I can't speak for others, but we launched on Diablo Lake (from the boat launch by the Colonial Creek campground), paddled up the gorge between Diablo and Ross Lakes (very scenic, as is Diablo Lake itself) - there's a shuttle (truck) that will portage you to the dock on Ross Lake above the dam. $25/kayak each way or $35 for bigger boats like canoes. Pretty spendy but beats the alternative. Pretty sure portage services are only available when the resort is open.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 pm 
Brucester wrote:
I like the idea of a SUP.
SUPs are cool and a lot of fun. Personally I wouldn't try to cover significant distances -- for that I prefer a canoe or kayak. Lots of SUPs on Greenlake -- where I paddle flatwater kayaks through Seattle Canoe and Kayak Club we typically make two laps along the edge of the lake while the SUPs manage maybe crossing the lake once -- of course most of the SUP paddlers appear to be beginners.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 1:03 pm 
During a walk at Lake Samm SP, we stumbled upon Oru folding kayaks at a kayak symposium. I've only kayaked a few times, but I was with friends who are experts. They were as impressed as I was. Made of corrugated plastic like those USPS crates, they are functional and light and incredibly cool. The rep said a large percentage of their buyers are women and folks who don't have space for traditional kayaks. He explained they were partnering with REI, where they are indeed available. Oru Kayaks

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 1:24 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
During a walk at Lake Samm SP, we stumbled upon Oru folding kayaks at a kayak symposium. I've only kayaked a few times, but I was with friends who are experts. They were as impressed as I was. Made of corrugated plastic like those USPS crates, they are functional and light and incredibly cool. The rep said a large percentage of their buyers are women and folks who don't have space for traditional kayaks. He explained they were partnering with REI, where they are indeed available. Oru Kayaks
FWIW: My wife bought an ORU off their original kickstarter -- 'cause her chiropractor told her that loading/unloading her 75 lb plastic seakayak on and off the car was a bad idea. She has enjoyed paddling it -- though she's never achieved the advertised assembly time. Currently we are preparing for a #VanLife adventure -- I'm looking at inflatable kayaks.

User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 6:19 pm 
...been letting my leg recover from a booboo. It's all better now, but while I was healing I focused on having fun in my LYB (little yellow boat). wink.gif TRIP REPORT Circumnavigtion of Bainbridge Island - Easter Sunday, 2019 - 29 miles
Agate Pass - fast, glassy water in Rich Passage
Agate Pass - fast, glassy water in Rich Passage
Fun turbulence after leaving Agate
Fun turbulence after leaving Agate
Still calm on the north end of the island
Still calm on the north end of the island
light chop for the next few miles south
light chop for the next few miles south
conditions improved - first and only stop at ~22 miles
conditions improved - first and only stop at ~22 miles
came close to this guy; he gave me a horn blast
came close to this guy; he gave me a horn blast