Forum Index > Trail Talk > Please wear your helmet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 5:13 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
What I don't understand is that we have a helmet law for bicyclists in Seattle, but the bike rental places don't seem to have understood and rent bikes without them. Whatsthatallabout? confused.gif
It was debated endlessly. As usual, Seattle Bike Blog presents one of the more reasoned big-picture arguments for why you shouldn't worry about this. And here is a fascinating post on why answering the question of whether helmets save lives is more complicated than you think. Anyway this site is about hiking not biking. The answer to the question of why people have helmets strapped to the outside of their packs is that they won't fit inside. People carry around crampons and other safety gear as well and you just have to hope they're in touch enough with their abilities and the objective hazards to know when to use what. I would point out that you're more likely to suffer TBI in a car than hiking or biking, and so that's really where people should wear helmets. But driving is too easy to pick on these days.
cascadeclimber wrote:
Trees fall down suddenly.
A falling branch almost got me near the bottom of the Mailbox trail once, in dry and windless conditions. Needless to say I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:18 pm 
I prefer to call them "hard hats." Ours get lots of use.
cascadeclimber wrote:
Trees fall down suddenly.
Is this related to the recent epidemic of exploding hikers?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:56 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
but the bike rental places don't seem to have understood and rent bikes without them.
With the "Lime Bikes" yeah, but more traditional bike rental outlets seem to provide them. Except for those four wheeled contraptions rented along Alki.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
prefer to call them "hard hats." Ours get lots of use.
me too. i wear one daily. on at the car, off at the car. wink.gif i just got a kask hard hat for construction use. looks like a newer climbing style hardhat. soon the old school version will be a thing of the past. and unlike my old hardhat, i would use it for climbing. little heavier then my petzl(who is also making a construction approved hard hat). best thing is the new style both have flip down safety visors. the kask snowsport helmet has a dual lens, flip down visor... my dream! now to get abomb to put their heated film on the lens for a fog free day in the mountains.