Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak Wilderness Conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rezi2104

rezi2104
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm 
I was planning a thru-hike on the PCT from Rainy Pass to Stevens Pass, but with the air quality reports I'm second-guessing that decision. Does anyone know how the smoke is out there? Unhikeable and dangerous? Unfun but doable?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm 
I just did a one-way trip through Easy Pass / Park Creek Pass / Cascade Pass and it was really smokey. I felt like I had asthma. I'd put it as "unfun but doable" if you're counting on seeing anything.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 pm 
Wait until after Wednesday?

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am 
It's very likely that you will not have views and you will be hiking in unhealthy conditions. Personally I would not waste my time doing that, but people have different preferences. Difficult to give a recommendation because it depends on:
  • Is this the only time you can go? Or you out of state? How desperate are you to go?
  • Any respiratory issues (for example I'm asthmatic and it'd be foolish to go out)
  • Precise timing - Conditions can change entirely within a day due to wind direction
If your respiratory system is very good, then I'd say almost everything is hikable, so that's not necessarily a concern. Route-finding with limited visibility should be okay on the PCT. With good planning you can perhaps find 1 or 2 days where there is *some* location in WA without smoke where you can hike in healthy conditions and with some views. I'd probably do that instead if this is my only vacation.

rezi2104

rezi2104
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
Difficult to give a recommendation because it depends on:
I am quite desperate to go, since this is the only time left that's free to go hiking this year. But that said I'm not going to be desperate to the point of stupidity. If I'm going to be choking out there and walking through a smoke cloud, it's not worth it. Man ever since I found out about the PCT last November I've been fantasizing about being on this trail. But oh well, looks like I'm gonna have to put this as a goal for next summer.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am 
There is a closure of the PCT in the section you propose to hike because of a fire (Bannock Lake) burning right over the trail, although there is a feasible detour around it. See PCTA website.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
rezi2104

rezi2104
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 am 
It wasn't the fires themselves blocking the trail I was concerned about, I'd already planned the diversion around the Bannock Lake fires for the trip. It's more the output of the fires I was worried about, and whether it'd be worth it to survive through the smoke.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 am 
Well as far as air quality at Stevens Pass today: due to the smoke I can't see a mountain which is a mile and a half from the pass.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
rezi2104

rezi2104
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 am 
Yeah, that kinda visibility is just unworkable. And real unfortunate. Thanks for the input though! I hope everybody stays safe in these conditions

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm 
When were you planning to leave? There is a shift in the weather starting sometime on Wednesday (temps below normal, precip above normal), which should clear the smoke out. As well, don't get your hopes up for next summer. Based on evidence of the last five years, this is the new, awful normal. Depressing as hell. You could also consider hiking with a N95 mask. I find those things make breathing harder.

alpinista55

alpinista55
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm 
We were at Buck Creek Pass and High Pass last week and at times could not see across the Suiattle. Smoke at times completely obscured Glacier Peak from view as we hiked the boot track to High Pass.

braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 pm 
We did the White Pass to Pilot Ridge loop this weekend. Friday was beautiful and clear. Here's the view from Kodak Peak on Saturday:
Here's the view from Blue Lake later that evening:
It got worse. Saturday night at 1am it looked like it was snowing, but it was just ash. Our Pilot Ridge walk on Sunday was gloomy and visibility was limited to barely being able to see across to the next ridge.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.