Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ericande

ericande
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 pm 
Mt Ararat - June 30, 2018 Trail is in great shape. Patches of snow around 5000', lots of packed snow in Indian Henry's Hunting Ground and up Ararat. Lots of droppings like this around there, what kind of animal is it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm 
ericande wrote:
Lots of droppings like this around there, what kind of animal is it?
I think it is coyote.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 pm 
Mount Deception - 7/3/18 OMCG route 3 ("standard route"). No snow until upper Royal Basin. The route is about 60/40 snow/rock at this point. I disagree with the class 2 rating that the OMCG gives - I'd call it very loose class 3.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 pm 
Visiting the in-laws in the Poconos. Hot humid weather broke the day we arrived in NYC last weekend. Its been pretty nice since then but I can't wait to get home. Views from Big Pocono State Park at 2000 feet.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm 
Nice birdie SHAL! That's a waxwing. I think cedar, if not it's a Bohemian. Looks like a great outing, just you and the bears.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 pm 
A quick father-son trip up to Squire Creek Pass. Gorgeous! I had been up there alone in swirling clouds, but clear is another type of spectacular. We had fun playing with the slab stones of course too. And we had the whole pass to ourselves on a weekend. I was very surprised.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 am 
Noble Knob 7-26-18 Short hike, nice views. Looks like the Dalles Ridge trail got a little scorched.

wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 9:58 pm 
Al hiked the PCT all the way to Canada. He started south of the border. SHAL: Plant Serviceberries to attract waxwings. They like berries. Others do, too (they are quite edible). Amelanchier alnifolia (the local native), not Amelanchier californica (accept no cheap imitations). They can get big; I have a 35-40' that I planted in 1985. The spring foliage is lovely next to redflowering currants Ribes sanguineum.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 2:33 pm 
Thru-ran the Enchantments last weekend (28 July). Saw 137,364 people, 84 goats, 27 kid goats, a literal pack train going up Asgard, and no place to park. Small lingering snow patches in the upper basin and one metric f***-ton of mosquitos. Enjoy at your own peril.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 pm 
Nasty hot weather has kept me hiding indoors lately. A forecast of cooler weather lured me out, never mind cloudy with chance of showers. Was feeling the call of Poodle Dog Pass/Twin Lakes. Made it to the overlook, didn't drop down to the lakes. Twin Lakes were gorgeous as always! Decent partial views of surrounding peaks for a while til the cloud layer slammed down. Then that chance of showers turned into much more than a chance, and it was much more than showers. I got DOUSED! And didn't mind one bit. I forgot what rain feels like. Berries galore today! Thimbleberries right from the get go, a bunch of other types the first 2 miles along the road bed. After that sporadic, but still some nice grazing. I had 6 different types of berries, that has to be a one day record for me (thimble-, salmon-, watermelon-, blue-, red hucks and regular hucks--yum!).

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:58 pm 
Easton Ridge 8/16/18 Camped at Snoqualmie Pass then doubled back home to drop off the fat bike and after a shower chose Easton Ridge as a good one.
Rough dusty ride to TH. A few cars there. Steep sweaty climb after cool begining. Partly cloudy with weather. Some showers but not bad. Steep dusty ascent... Along the ridge easy going upward. Beyond the unoffical high point the trail has a few blowdowns. Maybe eight Corona sized trees.
The high point was nice. Good views. Worth the scratches on my shins... +2,500ish 6.3? miles

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 pm 
braincloud wrote:
Thru-ran the Enchantments last weekend (28 July). Saw 137,364 people, 84 goats, 27 kid goats, a literal pack train going up Asgard, and no place to park. Small lingering snow patches in the upper basin and one metric f***-ton of mosquitos. Enjoy at your own peril.
perfectly summed up

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 pm 
Thought the air quality was supposed to be okay on Saturday. It wasn't. Oh well. Was gonna hike east from Canyon Creek TH/Damfino Lakes along High Divide. Right after the turnoff was a sign saying the road was closed 5 miles ahead. Plan B, started at Excelsior Pass TH and continued east from the Pass. Made it to Welcome Pass, then doubled back. Meadows were nice. Only a few other hikers were out. Couldn't see Baker, Shuksan or anything else at any point during the day. Bears have been chowing down on berries.
I didn't notice this on the way up, but on the way down couldn't miss it. It's RIGHT beside the trail. Could see down at least 10 feet before it got too dark, couldn't tell how much further down it went. Haven't ever seen anything like that trailside before. Intriguing.

Joe

Joe
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm 
Second Burroughs - Mt. Fremont Lookout loop - 8/20/2018 In the morning there were reasonable views of Mt. Rainier, but by the time I headed up to Mt. Fremont Lookout, you could barely see the mountain. I hiked the loop clockwise, first Second Burroughs, then Mt. Fremont Lookout. Trip Stats: 9 miles with 2100 ft. gain
Shadow Lake
Shadow Lake
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
snout of Emmons glacier and the source of White River
snout of Emmons glacier and the source of White River
Little Tahoma Peak
Little Tahoma Peak
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
Smoke haze view to the east
Smoke haze view to the east
Trail to Second Burroughs
Trail to Second Burroughs
Marmot
Marmot
Marmot
Marmot
2 Mountain Goats
2 Mountain Goats
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Mt. Fremont Lookout
Mt. Fremont Lookout
smoky view of Grand Park
smoky view of Grand Park
Burroughs-Fremont-route
Burroughs-Fremont-route

Joe
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 3:48 am 
Eagle Lake 8-22-18 The road has a few rough patches, and I was happy I was in a 4x4. Bugs weren't bad, and the huckleberry's are ripe.