Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker Suffers Fatal Cardiac Arrest 08/13/18 ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm 
Tuesday August 14, 2018 14:50 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Hiker Suffers Fatal Cardiac Arrest Port Angeles, WA- Yesterday evening, a 29-year old woman from Iowa suffered a fatal cardiac arrest while backpacking with family on the Sol Duc River Trail above Deer Lake in Olympic National Park. Around 5:00 pm yesterday, Park Rangers were hiking in the area and encountered the group of hikers. The woman had collapsed a half-hour beforehand and regained consciousness. Rangers provided medical aid and she reportedly began to feel better and her condition improved. The plan was to camp overnight at Deer Lake and proceed with a litter carry out to the trailhead in the morning. At 6:45 pm, the woman suddenly lost consciousness again and went into cardiac arrest. A medevac was requested and due to the terrain, a military helicopter was necessary for a hoist operation. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) was administered for an hour until a medical professional and emergency medical protocols directed the park rangers to suspend the efforts. The exact cause of death is under investigation. The Navy helicopter was on scene at 8:30 pm and assisted with the recovery. The decedent was flown to Olympic Medical Center and transferred to Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel. The decedent’s name and hometown are being withheld pending family notifications. “We offer our most heartfelt condolences to this young woman’s family,” said park Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. Deer Lake is at an elevation of 3,600 feet and located 3.8 miles from the Sol Duc River Trailhead in the Daniel J. Evans Wilderness. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bertman

bertman
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm 
That's sad, especially since she was so young. I wonder if she had a congenital heart defect she was unaware of. I recently got retrained for CPR. Three minutes of pumping and I was sweating. I'm sure multiple people were administering but that must have been a long hour.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 pm 
What a sad deal, just 29 years old. My condolences.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:40 pm 
Sudden Cardiac Arrest is different from a "heart attack" -- it's an "electrical" failure -- so an individual can have have none of the typical symptoms of "heart disease". A friend of mine was training for the RSVP ride and passed away from Sudden Cardiac Arrest during a training ride. Basically his heart just stopped beating -- there was no clot or other blockage of blood flow. He was otherwise in excellent health. Condolences to the family and friends -- they must be in shock.

Arginine

Arginine
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am 
bertman wrote:
I recently got retrained for CPR. Three minutes of pumping and I was sweating
I'll bet. Additionally, after 2 minutes of compressions you're efficacy tanks. That's one of the reasons that rescuers are recommended to switch every 2 minutes. Not much help if you are solo though. I've found compressions are much harder to do effectively on a human than a training manikin and in any backcountry situation its going to be even harder to get high quality CPR and who wants low quality?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm 
When someone's heart isnt beating they are dead so anything you can do is better than than nothing at all.. you're not going to make them more dead.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm 
I wonder if the smoke was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. A congenital abnormality exacerbated by smoke.. My condolences.