Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help identifying a location in Pasayten Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm 
Hello, I was hoping that there may be someone (or multiple people) familiar enough with the Pasayten wilderness to help me in identifying a few locations based off of some photographs that I have. The condensed version of Why is that I spent time as a kid horse packing in the Pasayten with my father. He recently passed away, and had always wanted his ashes spread up there. I am planning a backpack trip to do so, and would love to try to identify and make it back to several of the places that I actually went with him. The last time I was there I was 12 years old, so my memory of concrete details is understandably a little fuzzy... I found a number of photos from those trips while going through his house, none unfortunately with titles of places or key identifiers like trail signs. I have been spending a good deal of time on Google earth and Caltopo, but it's tough to really judge from a computer screen. I was hoping that someone on the forum may actually recognize some of these locations or landmarks shown in photos and could point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any help. Photos and more details below: Here is what I do remember: 1. We always drove up through the Omak/Winthrop area, so accessed the wilderness from the south/east-ish side. 2. I'm not totally positive, but eight mile trailhead sounds familiar. If that wasn't the exact trailhead, I am guessing it was in the general vicinity. 3. The last time we were there we camped at a small lake. Access to the lake involved a one way spur trail that came off of a barren ridge/saddle. I remember this as it snowed overnight the last night we were camping, and getting out of the lake basin required back tracking on the same trail we took in and getting the horses through a somewhat sketchy snow drift that had built up on the ridge from the night before. I would love to try to figure out where that lake is! 4. My initial searches from Google earth and Caltopo had me wondering if it was either a small lake adjacent to Corral lake, or possibly Peepsight lake. This would make sense with trailhead access, but I am not certain. 5. There are a few identifying markers from my memory and from the pics. One being that the trail was an out and back from the lake, it did not continue past it. Second is that the lake is smallish and surrounded by grassy meadows, not thickly forested around the shore. Third is the rock band above the lake shown in the photos. 6. The area around the lake and the ridge lines was fairly open in terms of vegetation/trees That's about all that memory serves! I know it is not much to go off of, but I figured I'd just go ahead and throw this information out there and see if these areas were recognizable. Thank you so much for any help on this!! I really appreciate it! Anne

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 12:45 pm 
Condolences on your loss. May your father's memory always be a blessing.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 1:54 pm 
Crow lake? One of your images of the horse packers on the ridge looks a lot like the image of horse packers above Crow lake, here: http://www.methownet.com/grist/features/packer_permit_reaction.html

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm 
I think you are correct about Corral Lake or a small lake nearby. Here are some photos of McCall Basin and Corral Lake taken a year ago.
Corral Lake, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
Corral Lake, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
Sand Ridge and McCall Basin from Larch Pass, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
Sand Ridge and McCall Basin from Larch Pass, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
Upper McCall Basin, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
Upper McCall Basin, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
On the trail to Corral Lake, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
On the trail to Corral Lake, Pasayten Wilderness 7/13 to 7/17/17
My condolences for the loss of your father. I hope you are able to make the trip up there to remember him. Definitely check with the Winthrop Ranger Station to find out the current status of the trails out of the Billy Goat Trailhead which accesses this area, as some of them were affected by the Diamond Creek Fire last year.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 pm 
Pictures 1 &2 kinda look like Peepsight, I'll know for sure when I get home and look at my pics. Peepsights not in the same area as the other pics, were they taken on the same trip? Pictures 3,4,5,6,7 were taken in the vicinity of this spot. The trail between Peeve Pass and McCall gulch. Picture 8 Nancyann nailed down.

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm 
Hi! Oh wow, yes, you most definitely are correct on your third pic in! It is from this same location as this one:
That is a helpful starting point to scour Caltopo further! Thank you

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm 
My third pic that matches yours was taken on the trail to Corral Lake, although we didn’t camp there, just viewed it from the trail. smile.gif

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm 
Hi, thank you for sending that google link! The Peepsight lake was just a guess based on looking at size and topography from Google earth, we may have been nowhere near it at all!

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 pm 
Your first and second pictures are for sure Boiling Lake in the Lake Chelan - Sawtooth Wilderness. Commonly accessed from the Methow side, Crater Creek trailhead up Gold Creek. (not my pic, but after looking at yours for a while I recognized the lake. I don't have one of this angle so I had to borrow it)
boiling-lake-crop
boiling-lake-crop

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 6:22 pm 
1st and 2nd pic are of Boiling Lake. Here’s my pic showing the full lake and ridge above it.

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:15 pm 
Wow, he had them labeled as Pasayten on the back of the photos; I've been scouring every single alpine lake I could find in the wilderness on Google and wondering why none of them looked like that one. That makes sense! How on earth did you match those two?? Thanks!

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm 
Anniek wrote:
How on earth did you match those two??
Looking on Google the mountain didn't look right at all. And neither did anything else around the Pasayten. When I got home I thought of meadowy lakes and Boiling came right to mind, and sure enough it was a match. For comparisons sake, here's a pic I took of Peepsight in 2016.
peepsight-2016
peepsight-2016

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 pm 
Nice sleuth work, sooperfly and yukon222. Just curious, AnnieK, do you remember what month those photos were taken?

RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:27 am 
Anniek wrote:
Whistler Basin?

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:44 am 
RichP wrote:
Anniek wrote:
Whistler Basin?
I'm pretty sure that picture was taken on the trail between Peeve Pass and McCall Gulch looking toward Sand Ridge. Open the map link below, orient it toward Sand Ridge and tilt it and it looks just like it. Right here: