Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > DNA testing..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 pm 
My Uncle recently had a DNA test done through Heritage.com and his result came back 48% western European, 34% Scandinavian, and 18% Irish. He was puzzled by these results because through extensive Family Tree research there was no history of a Scandinavian bloodline. So he asked my Mom to have a DNA test done, which she did through Ancestry.com. The results were baffling as hers came back at 78% English, 18.4% Scandinavian, and 3.6% Irish. My uncle then questioned my Mom as to whether their Mom might have had an affair with a Scandinavian travelling salesman or the like. Very unlikely given the type of person she was. So then my Mom had a DNA test done through Heritage.com (the same one her brother used) and her results came back completely different than the one she did through Ancestry.com at 64% Western European, 18% Irish, and 17% English. My uncle then did one through Ancestry.com to see if it matches my Mom's results, he is still awaiting the results of that second test. So it seems that one of the two is a scam and that Ancestry.com is more accurate as to our family tree research. Anyone else have thoughts or experience with this?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:34 pm 
I suggest that you read the recent three part series on DNA testing done by Science News.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
The British Isles were invaded by the Norse in the latter half of the 9th Century. The "Great Heathen Army" took up residence in what is present-day York and controlled what was known as the Danelaw for some time. The impact the Norse had on what is present-day England (and to a degree Ireland) is still seen in many words in the English language, as well as many place names. While your ancestors might claim "English" ancestry, there is a good likelihood of them having some Scandinavian blood running through their veins.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 pm 
That's likely, but doesn't explain why one DNA test showed Scandinavian blood and one didn't.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 pm 
mike wrote:
I suggest that you read the recent three part series on DNA testing done by Science News.
mike, do you have a link to one of those articles you mentioned. I tried your link, but it just was a general one. I searched for DNA test and came up with not much. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks, ~z

mike

mike
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:23 pm 
Well, the series ran beginning in June I think. Quite informative. my old copies have gone to the magazine exchange so i can't look it up. i think this is one. Basically the dna is extremely complex and the commercial tests are really pretty rudimentary despite the advertising. If I can find the issues I'll post. (May need a subscription to read) edit: links from above article. ...an more links in articles link link

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 pm 
mike wrote:
edit: links from above article. ...an more links in articles
Hi, mike. I just saw these links. Thank you for taking the time to dig these up and post. Very good information on the process and results. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
The British Isles were invaded by the Norse in the latter half of the 9th Century. The "Great Heathen Army" took up residence in what is present-day York and controlled what was known as the Danelaw for some time. The impact the Norse had on what is present-day England (and to a degree Ireland) is still seen in many words in the English language, as well as many place names. While your ancestors might claim "English" ancestry, there is a good likelihood of them having some Scandinavian blood running through their veins.
Yah, my niece sent in a sample and it came out with a bit of Turkish. Then I read about some Turks ending up in Scandihoovia in ancient times. French was in it also, but that might be from the Norman Conquest events. I should think that would also show up in people of British ancestory.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I read about some Turks ending up in Scandihoovia in ancient times.
The Byzantine Empire recruited Norsemen and Anglo-Saxons for the Varangian Guard between the 10th and 14th centuries. The Scandihoovians no doubt left plenty of DNA in what's now Turkey and no doubt brought some home with them when they mustered out.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:15 pm 
So, I conclude that DNA tests are a waste of time and money, glad I didn't waste mine. Some even have their pets tested, those people obviously have waaaay too much money. We are all pretty much a bunch of mutts anyway.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:35 pm 
I have people pressuring me to get my mutt tested. I will only do so if they pay for it. My niece's test confirmed what we'd been told, except for the French and Turkish bit and I seem to remember a bit of Finlander was in the mix.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I have people pressuring me to get my mutt tested. I will only do so if they pay for it
smile.gif My dog is a "mystery mutt" from time to time "pet parents" urge me to get her DNA tested to determine her breeding. My response is: "I have human children" In terms of family origins, I have genealogy records back to 1652 on my side of the family and my wife's family back to 1703. We are "mystery mutts" as well with a wide range of regions in the family tree.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 am 
Here's how 23andMe determines ancestry composition 23andMe's State-of-the-Art Geographic Ancestry Analysis
Quote:
We calculate your Ancestry Composition by comparing your genome to those of over 10,000 people with known ancestry. When a segment of your DNA closely matches the DNA from one of the 31 populations, we assign that ancestry to the corresponding segment of your DNA. We calculate the ancestry for individual segments of your genome separately, then add them together to compute your overall ancestry composition.
There can be quite a bit of error in the analysis depending on the people they've tested and compared to. I have a pretty complete family tree back to the 1500's and 23andMe was pretty accurate for me.