Forum Index > Trail Talk > We had no idea there are so many beautiful butterflies in the mountains!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 1:10 pm 
Recently our hiker friend started sending us butterfly photos. We were amazed at the patterns and colors of these beautiful little creatures. So we started watching for them and taking photos. All the years of hiking and we really never even noticed butterflies. Even bought a book so we can start figuring out what species they are. Here are few recent photos - would love to see other hiker's butterfly photos too!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 2:59 pm 
that see-thru one is pretty awesome! butterflies are like mushrooms; often seen, but never truly observed.

mike

mike
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm 
NPS and researchers are/were doing butterfly survey on Sauk. Had a km in sections 2m wide up the trail. Got my attention and I saw several different kinds which changed with altitude.

iron

iron
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 pm 
there was a ST article several years ago where, i think, they ID'd 5000+ unique butterflies in the cascades.

nordique

nordique
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 pm 
Whenever I get the opportunity, I take butterfly photos in our mountains--hard as they are to take: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjr8y4wj And then we have to ID them!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
Very cool! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful pictures. I definitely notice butterflies fairly regularly but I'm useless at IDing them outside of tiger swallowtail and monarch. I frequently see groups of small blue butterflies gathered by water sources, like a puddle or very small creek.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm 
Truly extraordinary photos! Thank you for sharing! up.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
uww

uww
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:54 am 
Very cool! I was on Mt. Adams in early July, and there was some sort of migration happening. At ~9000 feet it was just constant swarms of them everywhere you looked for hours and hours. It was surreal.

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:13 am 
UWW wrote:
Very cool! I was on Mt. Adams in early July, and there was some sort of migration happening. At ~9000 feet it was just constant swarms of them everywhere you looked for hours and hours. It was surreal.
Wow. That is pretty amazing. They are such beautiful ephemeral creatures and great pilots. Any idea about what type of Butterfly? The Pacific Science Center periodically shows the movie "Flight of the Butterflies" which is about the awesome Monarch migration and nesting. The 3D imagery of being surrounded by butterflies is amazing. Folks that love Butterflies should get involved in stopping the use of certain pesticides (Neocontinids appear to be the worst) https://newsroom.defenders.org/trump-administration-opens-national-wildlife-refuges-to-pollinator-poisons-and-harmful-gmos/ that are long lasting and kill both Butterflies and Bees. I also enjoy photographing Bumblebees.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am 
UWW wrote:
We did Adams July 5th and observed the same phenomenon. It was a Carl Sagan moment how many butterflies you were seeing ……….. billions and billions. smile.gif And they were being observed on all the NW volcanoes. As it turns out, the majority were California Tortoiseshells, they have "explosion years" which pushes them to search for new territory. This was one of those years. MRNP did have a blurb about it on their website, but it's been taken down. I did notice that there were other butterflies mixed in with them, all were brown. Identity crisis? https://www.nps.gov/rlc/northcoastcascades/cascades-butterfly-project.htm https://wabutterflyassoc.org/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Toni

Toni
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I frequently see groups of small blue butterflies gathered by water sources, like a puddle or very small creek.
I call it a 'Puddle Party' The male's are gathering minerals and nutrients (salts and amino acids) from mud and dung which aids in reproductive success. Beautiful photo's 'seekapeak' and 'nordique' !!!

There is no Planet B
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm 
Toni wrote:
I call it a 'Puddle Party'
up.gif

gb

gb
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 am 
Yesterday, Indian Henry's was filled with Fritillaries. At one point I saw about eight on one single Cascade aster. But you would have to hurry because there are only a few areas where there are still good flowers. The best were on the Mirror Lake path and that is where there was the greatest concentration of Butterflies. Magnificent creatures; with care, they let me get within 15".

Toni

Toni
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm 
I've just started taking challenging photo's of moth's/ butterflies, it's fun but need to be really patient....Ha! Still learning names.... dizzy.gif
Glacier Basin ~ SVTC Suzy Stockton 035
Glacier Basin ~ SVTC Suzy Stockton 035
aecb8_m.jpg
Nature
Nature

There is no Planet B
some names

some names
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
Seekapeek,, this thread is really neat! The pictures are beautiful. We too have just recently been looking a lot more at butterflies as we hike . . . thanks!
Robinson Mtn, WA
Robinson Mtn, WA
Horseshoe Basin, Pasayten, WA
Mt Catherine, WA
Mt Catherine, WA
Mt Catherine, WA
Mt Catherine, WA