Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Right to Roam: In Scotland, Hikers Can Go Anywhere
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 pm 
"The U.S. may have pioneered land protection, but Scotland leads the charge when it comes to accessing wild terrain. Can we learn from one of the most hikeable countries on Earth?" I thought I would place this here rather than in Trail Talk in case the discussion gets emotional. Anyway, it is kinda long and touches a bit on the political but is worth the read. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 pm 
Outdoor Access Code key sections

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 am 
I think our country is in the midst of the aristocracy phase. I did enjoy stepping out my door and walking on private timber land. It was OK to walk or bike behind the locked gate. Right now, I am sure it is closed off to everybody due to fire danger. They also did not allow any camping. I seldom saw anybody back there and it was a good place to let the dog run hard. I can see both sides on this. I have friends who own a large acreage. They do not allow people on it. They don't want the garbage, poop and fires that come with some people. The poop thing is evident to all living in the boonies. For some reason, at night, people poop in roads and driveways. Guess they really had to go, but it makes it unpleasant for those of us who live there. Liability is the big thing. We are a sue happy country. Nuff said on that. I can see it happening in some areas of the country where the signs are not shot up. There is at least one such place--Up Nort Wisconsin where I was surprised to see roadsigns that were intact and not a lot of broken bottles beneath signs. Maybe it is the Scandihoovian way of life? That area was full of Scandihoovian Americans.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I can see it happening in some areas of the country where the signs are not shot up. There is at least one such place--Up Nort Wisconsin where I was surprised to see roadsigns that were intact and not a lot of broken bottles beneath signs. Maybe it is the Scandihoovian way of life? That area was full of Scandihoovian Americans.
You may be right, but whether it can survive in later generations exposed to the US private property mindset is questionable. allemannsretten Whoops. This site does explain allemannsretten (acess to private land in Norway and Sweden) but I didn't realize it was on a nudist site. I thought naturist was just what they called people who like the outdoors.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 am 
If you have Amazon Prime, there are some BBC type shows about walking around the UK. The gates and stiles are quite interesting. When I return to my walking spot I'll carry some duct tape to cover the barbs that grab my shirt when I close the gate. Gates ought to be user friendly to encourage folks to close them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 8:41 am 
As someone pointed out, they have customs like this in Scandinavia too. You can cross agricultural land, as long as you don't disturb the crops. People are expected to avoid going close to homes where one might be able to see in windows. Bogarting berries causes conflicts sometimes.