Forum Index > Trail Talk > RIP to Tom Frost and Jeff Lowe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 6:28 am 
Legendary climbers Tom Frost and Jeff Lowe passed away yesterday. Tom Frost was most well known for his series of wall climbs he accomplished with the late Royal Robbins in Yosemite in the 1950's and ‘60’s. The second ascent of the Nose, the Salathe Wall and the NA. He also participated in the 1970 British expedition to Annapurna's south face led by Sir Christian Bonnington. He climbed Ama Dablam in lthe 70's and was a member of a expedition to the Lobuje area in 1986, along with Marc Twight, the late Jeff Lowe and the late Allison Hargreaves. He repeated the Nose, the NA and the Salathe late in the last century with his son and other partners. His business partnership with Yvon Chouinard is well known and helped usher in a whole slew of modern equipment. ***************************************************************************** Jeff Lowe also died last night after a long illness where he had been confined to a well chair and unable to speak. His pioneering winter ascents, waterfall climbing and routes in the Canadian Rockies are well known, as is his participation in the Lowe Equipment Company along with his brothers

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 8:35 am 
A couple of pretty noteworthy passings. It makes one consider his own vulnerability, for, though, I didn't know him, he was essentially a contemporary of mine. Eulogy of Jeff Lowe in Rock and Ice

ScottP

ScottP
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 9:29 am 
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 pm 
Thank you for not sharing, Ms. Self (appropriate last name considering). huh.gif

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Thank you for not sharing, Ms. Self (appropriate last name considering). huh.gif
That’s the least of it. Connie Self and Jeff Lowe’s daughter Sonja are having a very public fight on FB and Supertopo regarding financial and physical abuse on Jeff Lowe by Connie Self. CO DSHS investigated and found the claims credible after complaints by several different caregivers who brought their concern to the authorities. Ms Self also seems to have implicated herself in text messages to Sonja - she’s a smart one.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 pm 
Good grief. I was just miffed I couldn't watch Metanoia tonight. Didn't have time earlier when it was still viewable. I didn't realize there was a sad can of worms behind it no longer being available.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 9:30 pm 
Legendary Climber Jeff Lowe Dies at 67 Old school!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 pm 
Looks very interesting (Connie Self is listed as the producer), I hope it becomes available again. http://jeffloweclimber.com/jeff-lowes-metanoia-video-gallery.html

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:01 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Good grief. I was just miffed I couldn't watch Metanoia tonight. Didn't have time earlier when it was still viewable. I didn't realize there was a sad can of worms behind it no longer being available.
Recently discovered the existence of the Metanoia documentary, but not via this thread. I would have paid to stream it. Given that the film is a couple years old and has already completed the touring circuit, the fact that it can't be streamed via any of the usual online providers or purchased for a reasonable price is somewhat unusual. From info on the website it appears that the producer is trying to monetize it to the max. Too bad, as I suspect that's going to really limit the viewing audience for a number of years. A more conventional and contemporary approach to distribution is what's seen on the website for Hadwin's Judgement, an amazingly beautiful film based on one of my favorite PNW nonfiction books, "The Golden Spruce" by John Vaillant. You can buy it for a fair price or stream it via the links provided. It also had a limited run on Netflix. I saw it the first time at the Vancouver FF; it was fabulous on the big screen. Totally captures the "feel" of our rainforests and coast. Highly recommend.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood