Forum Index > Gear Talk > Any ideas about the manufacturer of this tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Imperial

Imperial
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 pm 
I just bought this tent on an auction website. According to the description, the seller does not know who the manufacturer was, since the tent does not contain any labels. At first I thought it was one of the first Stephenson tent, or maybe a prototype, but I have not found anything similar on the web. These are the characteristics that the seller published. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<< Unbranded two-person, four-season tent. This is a “cottage industry" tent from the 1980s or 1990s that was likely made in very limited quantities by someone working from home. There is no brand name anywhere on the tent, but I would guess that it was made either in the USA or the UK, possibly as a knock-off of the Early Winters tents from that era. Dimensions - 80" long x 46" wide x 31" high Pack Size - 24" x 4" including poles Weight - 3.5 poles (includes tent and poles) Features... single-wall coated-nylon construction with three plastic hoop poles, a horizontal ridge pole, and a heavy-duty waterproof nylon floor. Although it is free-standing thanks to the horizontal ridge pole, the ends can (and should) be staked out for greater stability in windy weather (no stakes included). All pole sections fit together with a gentle push-and-twist technique. The front of the tent has a tunnel style “snow door” with white mosquito netting, and the rear has a triangular zippered window. It was used only once or twice for snow-camping trips many years ago and is in very good condition, although the seam sealant has flaked off with age. Fully pitched, it measures 80 inches long by 46 inches wide by 31inches high inside. The tent and poles roll into a storage sack (included) that measures 24 inches long by 4 inches in diameter. Weight of tent, poles, and sack is 3.5 pounds. Please note that this is a very unusual tent that will require an owner who is willing to understand and appreciate its peculiarities. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 am 
It looks like a Salewa Bivouac tent circa 1976. I can't find any any photgraphs on the web, but they were sold at the Swallows Nest for a couple of years before Biblers Impotent took over that market. Looking at the stitching, I agree though that it was not made by a mainstream manufacturer as a production model. Either some kind of prototype or a very well constructed home made tent. Around here you had MSR and Early Winters constructing tents (doesn't look like a MSR product) as well as cottage producers like Carla Firey and Louise Beardsley. Asking this question at Supertopo.com might be a good idea, they have several posters who were in the outdoor business for years, and Clark Gerhardt of the Swallows Nest has made an appearance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message