Forum Index > Trip Reports > Champagne Pk. w/o the Champagne, 07.21.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 5:48 pm 
A wks. ago I decided to check out a little peak w/an unofficial name in the Laguna Mtns., after reading one of my fellow Canyoneer's articles about it. I'd actually been very near this pk. when we did our recent Laguna to Cuyamaca one-way hike, & if I'd known @ the time that it had a name & register, I would've added the quick side trip to it. In any case, this was a nice morning loop hike before temps got too warm. In fact, it turned out to be a really windy day so it never felt too hot. I was able to get 1 taker from my group for this last-minute hike. We parked @ the Pioneer Mail TH, crossed S-1, & started up the Pine Mtn. Trail. The path is well-maintained & passes thru typical chaparral plants found in this area. @ the TH:
My shadow @ the TH
My shadow @ the TH
On the way up:
On the Pine Mtn. Trail
On the Pine Mtn. Trail
Nearing Champagne Pass
Nearing Champagne Pass
@ Champagne Pass
@ Champagne Pass
@ the peak:
Summit register
Summit register
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Looking over to Pine Mtn.
Looking over to Pine Mtn.
Continuing on, we dropped down to just shy of Indian Creek, & turned back north up an old jeep trail for the remainder of the hike...
Indian Creek, though there's no water. :-(
Indian Creek, though there's no water. :-(
Heading back north & out:
On the jeep trail
On the jeep trail
Nice valley
Nice valley
Another short hike
Another short hike
Rt.
Rt.
Post-hike beverages:
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 pm 
up.gif in the section "Heading back north & out:" - in the fifth image - is that some sort of oak? it looks hot down there in both the TR's you posted today. eek.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 8:13 pm 
Yeah, Quercus kelloggii (Black Oak). It looks hot b/c it IS hot, lol. wink.gif Typically it's hot thru Oct, yet now fire "season" is year-round. frown.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 8:18 pm 
so... the same oak as all up and down in California and Southern Oregon then, it looks like:
Wikipedia wrote:
It is found from Lane County, Oregon, south through the Cascade Range, the Sierra Nevada, and the Coast, Transverse, and Peninsular Ranges to San Diego County, California and into Baja California.
interesting that its habitat range would extend that far - north to south.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 8:31 pm 
Yeah, seems like a big variety of climates in that range! eek.gif Must be a pretty well-adapted/hearty species. up.gif