Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 8:39 am 
Schroder wrote:
I'm tired of ice in my cooler disappearing after a couple of days so I'm looking for something better than my cheap Coleman. Does anyone have experience with the pricier models like Yeti, Orca, Pelican and Engel? I see some of them are bear certified but they're all in the $300-400 range.
Well, I took a look at various coolers out of interest generated by this thread, and wound up here:

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 am 
moonspots wrote:
and wound up here:
It's interesting and sometimes entertaining to drill down on test methods, weighting and subjective vs. objective criteria of various tests From the F&S article:
Quote:
. . . tossing the coolers off a pickup at 45 mph. . . .Ice retention was given up to 50 points, features 30, durability 10, and service and handling 5 points each, for a total possible score of 100.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 12:13 pm 
I've never tossed my ice chest out of the back of my truck at 45 mph, but doing about 70 between La Grande and Enterprise, Oregon, the lid flew off my old Coleman and landed out in a cow pasture. That was the last time I used an ice chest with a non-attached lid. That Cabela model looks like the best bang for the buck. For what it's worth: In a regular (old-school) plastic ice chest, I managed to keep stuff cold for four days using gallon milk jugs filled with water and then frozen solid for several days with several of those frozen "gel pack" things. Seemed like using both together made quite a difference.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."