Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
Okay, but are you getting more sleep and better sleep because you are sleeping outside or is it because you are so dead tired because you have been backpacking all day?
That is difficult to measure, I will agree. I don't do a full day of hiking and then go home and sleep in my own bed. Whenever I go out hiking, I go out backpacking. I can tell you, however, that an average day for me has me running (at 7mph-8mph) 4-6 miles and walking another 2-4 miles. So, my physical exertion measurements are similar, but not identical.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm 
And my exertion levels are way lower! At 75, I sleep really really well--but always in bed at home. Sleeping anywhere else is a less happy experience. I've not slept outdoors for decades--and that was in the Olympics, after we raised our food supplies up a tree to protect our food from bears. At my age (and I'm old for my age, excess mileage), I find that organizing, leading and photographing three hikes a week (weather permitting) plus three sessions a week at Vertical World in Seattle, year-round, leaves me seeking naps during the day and sleeping very soundly every night. Now to set my alarm for tomorrow's hike....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message