Forum Index > Trip Reports > Echo/Observation Rocks 8.28.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:05 pm 
Continuing with my daughter's vacation with dear old Dad, our long day on the West Side Road had us sleeping in and packing late for our date with the ROAD FROM HELL, otherwise known as the Mowich Lake road. After getting a cross country permit for the Ptarmigan Ridge area, we finally hit the trail rather late on the 27th, but with plenty of time to make our bivy site before dark. We had very nice weather indeed, cool and sunny, and proceeded through Spray Park to the turnoff to Ptarmigan Ridge. The mountain was still hiding behind cloud layers but we aimed for a good viewing point on the ridge, not too close so as to not obstruct good lines. Luck was with us as the thin cloud layer slowly cleared and we found a good spot at 6700' on the ridge to lay out our bivy bags on Monday night. Pack-It-Gourmet came through with excellent bean and cheese burritos and cheese cake with lots of time to take in the views and fading light. What a fantastic evening! My daughter loves to sleep under the stars unencumbered by tentage so who am I to deny her? I was snug in my Nunatak 3D quilt, a work of art for sure, but Cassie started to get a little chilly in her FF 35 degree Wren after the sun went down. This problem was solved by wearing my Nunatak Skaha Apex Pullover...this company makes meticulous incredible stuff. Pricey but well worth it. We settled in with Pugetopolis lights in the background and shortly enough the spotlight otherwise known as the moon arced its way over Rainier the entire night.
Lower Spray Park
Lower Spray Park
Trail to upper Spray Park
Trail to upper Spray Park
Things are looking up
Things are looking up
We found our spot
We found our spot
The view
The view
Fluffing up my Nunatak 3D Quilt
Fluffing up my Nunatak 3D Quilt
Evening lighting
Evening lighting
Sunset from 6700'
Sunset from 6700'
My daughter is in there somewhere
My daughter is in there somewhere
This vacation was totally laid back for us, meaning that we were sleeping in 'til 9 every morning and limiting our days to avoid trashing ourselves. After another PIG gourmet breakfast we got going for our peak bagging day. We set off for the Flett glacier, climbing the right ridge to a lower angled cross over to the base of Echo Rock. We left our packs on the snow and made our way to the base of Echo, all the while thinking, "how the hell are we gonna get up that thing?" Of course, we knew how as the intel had this as a moderate scramble and we could espy the line up, eventually making our way to the summit on the other side. No matter, looking at this thing is still intimidating. However, we hiked up our skirts and made a go of it.
Fullish moon early morning
Fullish moon early morning
She's up!
She's up!
Lower Flett glacier
Lower Flett glacier
On the Flett glacier
On the Flett glacier
Really round ptarmigans
Really round ptarmigans
Echo Rock "are we really climbing that?"
Echo Rock "are we really climbing that?"
Cassie making her way up Lower Echo Rock
Cassie making her way up Lower Echo Rock
Climbing south ridge from Echo...find Cassie
Climbing south ridge from Echo...find Cassie
Cat Eye lake
Cat Eye lake
Upper Moraine Park from lower Echo
Upper Moraine Park from lower Echo
Nearing summit of Echo Rock
Nearing summit of Echo Rock
Williswall descending from summit of Echo Rock
Williswall descending from summit of Echo Rock
Room to move on Echo Rock
Room to move on Echo Rock
Observation Rock from Echo
Observation Rock from Echo
Looking towards Russell Glacier from Echo
Looking towards Russell Glacier from Echo
Cassie descending Echo Rock
Cassie descending Echo Rock
Cat Eye Lake and Spray Park on descent from Echo
Cat Eye Lake and Spray Park on descent from Echo
West face of Echo
West face of Echo
Cassie- "Glad that's over"
Cassie- "Glad that's over"
Observation Rock, not as bad as it looks
Observation Rock, not as bad as it looks
Working around to the south side of Observation Rock
Working around to the south side of Observation Rock
Very hazy Rainier from Observation summit
Very hazy Rainier from Observation summit
Hero shot- Cassie on Observation Rock summit
Hero shot- Cassie on Observation Rock summit
Williswall on Observation summit
Williswall on Observation summit
Shortcut back to our packs
Shortcut back to our packs
Shadows
Shadows
Looking down on Flett glacier and Echo Rock from Observation summit
Looking down on Flett glacier and Echo Rock from Observation summit
Working down the snowfield
Working down the snowfield
Return trip
Return trip
Sunset in the forest
Sunset in the forest
Backlit
Backlit
Back in Spray Park
Back in Spray Park
Yes, this is a solid class III scramble, but at no time did we feel any significant exposure. Lots of hand work had us circle on the other side to the base of the actual pointy summit. Cassie went most of the way up the crack but had enough and came back down. I went up to the top but had no desire to actually place my feet on the spire, so put my arms over it and called it good. There is a flattish area on the summit area so we lingered taking in the views towards Moraine Park, Curtis Ridge, the Russell Glacier, Observation, and back to Spray Park. We basked in the cool breeze and sucked in the amazing views, then rehiked our skirts to do the down climb, always more difficult than the ascent. Cassie got stuck for a moment on sliding scree but we eventually made our way to the base and our waiting packs for a snack and rehydration. Then it was off for Observation, basically a walk up. Climbing the ridge out of Echo was harder than summiting Observation, but we made short work of it and enjoyed another summit with great views, cool breezes and solitude. We looked down on Echo thinking "how the hell did we get up there?" While we were making our way across the saddle we saw two people descending on a trail that proved to be a shortcut back to our packs at the base of Echo, thank you very much. The more I explore MRNP the more I discover, likely a lifelong undertaking for yours truly. We regained our packs, snacked and watered ourselves, then found a better way back to the base of the snow fields to avoid downclimbing the steep ridge we had ascended in the morning. We thought about summiting Hessong and Pleasant on the way back but thought, "why trash ourselves out and hike back in the dark when we can do those tomorrow?" So back to the truck we went, cleaned up, ate dinner and tried to stay up until dark, with limited success. TBC

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kenji

Kenji
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:43 pm 
Nice trip up.gif I've skied by Echo many times, but never been up there...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message