Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 am 
I went through those meadows a couple weeks ago. Here's the track:
From White Pass, there's a very clear boot trail to the White Chuck basin, where there are many lakes and tarns to explore. Once you get down to about 6000 feet below the lakes, there's a good bootpath all the way to the PCT, which you can follow back up to Red Pass.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am 
This is just the second time recently I've heard the term "meadows" applied to the White Chuck Glacier moraine. The Green Trails folks are getting imaginative.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 12:17 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
I don't know if this matters but for what it's worth... the area of White chuck glacier basin and adjacent "basin" to the south (while cool) has very few trees. In fact vegetation in general. A few trees on the ridges. But mostly rock. The area nearer to Red Pass, including the low valley between RP & WCGB has much more vegetation. I would think those valleys would be worth checking for birds. A bunch of willow there. Good luck!
Thanks. The birds in question tend to prefer the bleak alpine areas with little vegetation, which is why I'm headed here specifically. I'll definitely be checking out those other areas to see what's there though.
Matt wrote:
I went through those meadows a couple weeks ago. Here's the track:
From White Pass, there's a very clear boot trail to the White Chuck basin, where there are many lakes and tarns to explore. Once you get down to about 6000 feet below the lakes, there's a good bootpath all the way to the PCT, which you can follow back up to Red Pass.
Another very useful map. Any chance you have a total mileage on that?

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 3:06 pm 
From the North Fork Sauk trailhead, total round trip was 31 miles, 8060 feet of cumulative elevation gain.

yorknl

yorknl
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 pm 
Schroder wrote:
This is just the second time recently I've heard the term "meadows" applied to the White Chuck Glacier moraine. The Green Trails folks are getting imaginative.
My 1988 edition of the Spring & Manning 100 Hikes in the Glacier Peak Region book makes reference to "the tremendous open basin of Glacier Peak Meadows" in its writeup for the White Chuck Glacier hike. It doesn't prove much, but that name was floating around in at least one publishing house 30 years ago.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 pm 
The map from the original post isn't Green Trails. On that map, the label is on the location below, which is somewhat meadowy.
2005 photo
2005 photo
However, in Manning & Spring's old hiking guide, "Glacier Peak Meadows" is identified as the area around 5500 feet, where there's a campsite symbol on the map. That area is a wide green water meadow.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 pm 
Thanks again everyone. The trip was a success. I only batted .333 for my target birds (Ptarmigan), but I picked up a surprise Prairie Falcon and had two Wolverines as well so I was thrilled about that. The meadow trail does exist, but is fairly overgrown at any point it hits trees in the lower meadow. It's a beautiful area worthy of exploration though and I just wish I'd given myself another day. Trip report here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1135623#1135623

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 pm 
up.gif