Forum Index > Trip Reports > Almost Kodak Peak via Cady Ridge and back via Meander Meadow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
scott&lucy

scott&lucy
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 8:23 pm 
I've been so remiss about trip reports for so long so here's a quick one. Little Wenatchee Ford TH way more developed & busier than it used to be! A large parking lot almost full. Cady Ridge trail is OK for the first 1.5 miles. Lots of horse traffic has made lots of dust. When the switchbacks end the trail really sucks. Straight up and lots or loose dust & rocks. I hate to blame horses but it's probably the case. Trail improves once you reach the flatter sections. Meadows are mostly bloomed out but still nice. Pretty much no water available until a few trickles appear near the Lake Sally Anne junction. The smoke was omnipresent. What is one of the nicest ridge walks in the Cascades was obliterated by the smoke. From there to Kodak Peak there were lots of people; NOBO hikers, day trippers camping at Lake Sally Anne, boy scouts... I camped at the base of Kodak Peak right above where the PCT does a 180 down to Indian Pass. Water is on the PCT about a 1/4 mile north of the Glacier Peak Wilderness boundary. Had a great night at the campsite but woke up to much worse smoke so I didn't bother summiting Kodak or Bryan Peak. Hightailed it down to Meander Meadows & back to the TH. The trail is a little eroded but in better shape than Cady Ridge. If you're doing the loop I'd recommend the way I did it. I always forget how brushy that trail is through the lower meadow all the way to the TH.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 am 
Why does it seem like there's more people everywhere?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 9:04 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Because there are. But this is just anecdotal, not supported by data that I know of. However, even trails where I never used to encounter others in the 1960s - ' 90s are now frequented even on early mornings midweek. Good that people are getting out, I believe. Go for it.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Julia

Julia
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 10:01 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
The PCT really is more crowded than it has been in previous years. It's hard to find a place to put your tent right now on sections J & K. PCT long distance permits issued-- In 2013: 1879 In 2017: 6069 People are almost literally camping on top of each other in some places & we witnessed an actual fight (no fists, just names, yelling & threats of violence) over tent space last week on section K. Crazy.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 am 
Julia wrote:
PCT long distance permits issued-- In 2013: 1879 In 2017: 6069
Thanks, Julia, that is some data to reinforce anecdotes, of which I have plenty. Consider that in the 1960s no permits were needed to get into the Pickets or Enchantments, or to hike the Wonderland Trail. Or PCT, which was not declared "officially finished" until 1993. Washington had a poplation of 2.8 million in 1961 compared to 7.4 million in 2017, and back then every other magazine or online source ( pre- Internet) didn't have a feature on "Ten Best National Parks" (one of our three always makes those lists) or "Best Bucket List Trails." Still, good that people are getting out. There has been ample discussion of this topic over and over on this forum, so I for one am done with hijacked.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 am 
Julia wrote:
People are almost literally camping on top of each other in some places & we witnessed an actual fight (no fists, just names, yelling & threats of violence) over tent space last week on section K. Crazy.
This is why you couldn't pay me to do any of the trophy thru hikes. Sounds like a full blown nightmare just so one can put a check mark on piece of paper.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am 
Increase in population has certainly created the crowding of the popular hiking trails we see today. My 1st extended hike occurred when I was 6 years old, (I will turn 83 next month). I rarely saw another packer on my hikes in the WA Cascades thru the 40s, 50s & 60s. At that time we had a rule of thumb: if you didn't want to run into other back packers you had to go in at least 8 miles. That seemed to hold true in my day. Other factors that have increased the popularity of exploring the back country is the equipment. In my time you didn't have the equipment you have now. Trapper Nelsons were the norm (if you could afford one), army surplus sleeping bags, and tents were unheard of. Many nights were spent sitting around a fire in the rain to stay warm, or under a thrown together shelter. No thermal rest mattress or freeze dried foods. In other words not all trips were a lot of fun. Fishing was better tho. Another thing that has made hiking more pleasant is the drive to the trail head and back. XM radio, CDs, etc.

carlb328

carlb328
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am 
Seriously?! What do you expect from an infinite growth national policy?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm 
Better overall results than a policy of stasis.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trailmo

trailmo
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 11:41 am 
Hey! You didn't happen to notice any possible camps along the first few miles of the Cady Ridge trail? I have to work tomorrow so we're getting a late start to the TH but would like to put a few miles away before bed.