Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm 
schifferj wrote:
DIYSteve wrote:
GE Silicone II cut with Klean-Strip brand mineral spirits from Home Depot has worked well for me.
I forget the proper ratio. Is it 1:1? Thanks!
Not that much. Start with the silicone and add just a little spirits, mix it in and then add little bits more until you get it to a paintable consistency.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I forget the proper ratio. Is it 1:1?
I don't recall, or maybe I never knew. I just dilute the GE II silicone with mineral spirits until it's the right viscosity for brushing.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 11:22 am 
Jeff wrote:
Has anyone tried mixing seam grip with mineral spirits? I need to seal my event bivy so no silicone. I've only tried thinning silicone in the past but not seam grip.
Seam Grip is marketed as Seam Grip +WP and Seam Grip +SIL The Seam Grip +WP is Urethane based and comes with a cure accelerator. I'd strongly suggest not thinning or diluting this stuff; unless there are some instructions on the package to the contrary. The Seam Grip + Sil is pretty much plain pre-diluted silicon. You can certainly thin this out a bit more if you don't like the consistency.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 am 
InFlight wrote:
The Seam Grip + Sil is pretty much plain pre-diluted silicon. You can certainly thin this out a bit more if you don't like the consistency
GE Silicone II clear caulking compound is the same stuff -- but much cheaper per oz. The big tube at Home Depot is about the same price as the tiny tube at REI. AFAIK REI doesn't sell mineral spirits and little paint brushes. If you've got just small item to seal (e.g. one tarp) probably makes no difference. But for bigger items I find it worth. Also I find applying the thinned silicone with a brush yields better results for a klutz like me that tends to end up with blobs using the SeamGrip stuff straight out of the tube.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm 
The flux brushes in the plumbing brazing section are dirt cheap (10-12 cents each in a package), and work great for seam sealing. I also use them to lubricate parts with machining oil on the lathe and mill. Really handy small throw away brushes.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Franco

Franco
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 pm 
Seam Grip and the like can be diluted with Xylene , however I don't think it comes in small sizes and it is highly toxic. When I used to seal Bibler and Black Diamond tents with Seam Grip I just had to put up with a somewhat thick and visible finish .

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 pm 
Here in the States you can get Xylene in one quart cans at most large hardware stores.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am 
In another thread DIY Steve stated that GE Silicone II doesn't dissolve in mineral spirits, but is held in suspension/makes an emulsion when mixed with mineral spirits. I want to recoat a large portion of a good tarp and I wondered if I could use something else that would make an actual solution of diluted silicon and then paint it, or even roll it on. I checked the MSDS for GE Silicon II and it indicated Toluene will dissolve it. Has anyone tried using this solvent to thin silicon sealant?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:56 pm 
Schenk wrote:
In another thread DIY Steve stated that GE Silicone II doesn't dissolve in mineral spirits, but is held in suspension/makes an emulsion when mixed with mineral . I want to recoat a large portion of a good tarp and I wondered if I could use something else that would make an actual solution of diluted silicon and then paint it, or even roll it on. I checked the MSDS for GE Silicon II and it indicated Toluene will dissolve it. Has anyone tried using this solvent to thin silicon sealant?
I've only used mineral spirits before, but it's pretty easy to adjust the consistency of the "silicone goo" by adding more mineral spirts, or more silicone as needed. I'd simply dilute it a lot and see how it spreads by a brush on some rag. Adjust until it seems right, and have at it. Harbor Freight has a $13 disposable paint sprayers. If you or a buddy has an air compressor, you could give that a try for a more uniform coating.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 pm 
Yah, from everyone's previous posts and comments it sounds as if mineral spirits work fine. I was just wondering if mixing with toluene and getting an actual solution would give even better results considering the thin application one would want when doing a large area (to reduce weight and stiffness). Thanks!

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:17 am 
For what it is worth, here is my experience coating a 10' x 10' pop up shelter canopy, like an EZup. I went with mineral spirits and a full tube of GE Silicon caulk to coat what is a bit over 100 sq. ft. Using a plastic jug, I mixed until I got a solution about the consistency of house paint. Shaking the mixture in partly filled a jug seemed to mix the 2 ingredients quite well. I set up the pop up with the canopy installed beforehand, and went to work with a 6" micro fiber paint roller, and an extension handle as soon as I had the mixture to the proper consistency. I experienced no "settling out" of the silicone while I applied the mixture to the canopy, but rolling it on went fast, so that could have helped. It dried to touch quickly and seemed to be a nice, if not fairly even, coat. Left it overnight so a little humidity from dew could help with the curing, and this morning it was done. I am pleased with the result and could recommend this for coating tarps, floors, and rain flys that the owner feels are worth salvaging.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 1:15 pm 
This thread is another great example of why nwhikers is such a fine website. So much useful, detailed knowledge not easily found elsewhere. Thanks, everyone.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:28 am 
not all silicones are the same. ive used silicone suspended in isopropyl for dampproofing masonry. while dow 790's cure is alcohol inhibited. we have silcone paint, but not in translucent.(no such thing as clear caulk. its really not clear if you put it on thick enough. most clear caulks are acetate(vinegar) cure. acteone, toluene, xylene, alcohol, might all have a differant affect on curing. also does things to the uv properties... is ge 11 a uv rated exterior caulk? i wouldnt stray to far from diy steves advice. unless you want to exleriment on old cloth.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 am 
Good points Ale Capone. For further clarification: Based on a few recommendations I read elsewhere I used GE All Purpose Silicone Caulk, not GE Silicone II. It really was almost a coin toss...both reportedly work well. I didn't try toluene for lots of reason, but mainly because so many folks had good results with mineral spirits. Why reinvent the wheel? I also put on one more coat last night to ensure full coverage and now I am really happy. The canopy was well worn and I am certain it will be leak proof now, not to mention reinforced to a fair degree. It really didn't make the fabric too stiff or heavy either.!

hbb

hbb
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 2:57 pm 
Schenk wrote:
In another thread DIY Steve stated that GE Silicone II doesn't dissolve in mineral spirits, but is held in suspension/makes an emulsion when mixed with mineral spirits. I want to recoat a large portion of a good tarp and I wondered if I could use something else that would make an actual solution of diluted silicon and then paint it, or even roll it on. I checked the MSDS for GE Silicon II and it indicated Toluene will dissolve it. Has anyone tried using this solvent to thin silicon sealant?
I'm not sure what thread you are referring to, but are you sure he's not just making a pedantic objection to improper use of terminology? I mean, what you want to do is make a thinner, easier-to-apply version of a readily available silicone sealant. That doesn't necessarily require "dissolving" the product.