Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Suiattle bridge funding for Milk creek access -- letters needed!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:28 pm 
Yesterday I talked with a Darrington district ranger about the possibility of a bridge to access the old Milk creek trail. Hopefully I got the information right.... In the near future the Darrington ranger district was going to be applying for funding for projects one of which would be a new bridge for Milk creek. Letters to the forest service would be really, really, REALLY be helpful in supporting the rational for the funding. (My words, but the ranger asked me to write a letter and get anyone I know to write a letter). I think she said letters were needed soon, like asap. So now is the time to let your opinion be known and be part of the process of getting access to Milk creek. It sure would be amazing to be able to hike that drainage again.... (and have faster access to that area of Glacier Peak). Letters or email should be addressed to Peter Forbes, Darrington Ranger District. I think there is a way you can respond using their website. I know there are lots of people that would like access, now is your chance to help make that happen by writing a letter/email giving the forest service your support!!! Yea !

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Yesterday I talked with a Darrington district ranger about the possibility of a bridge to access the old Milk creek trail. Hopefully I got the information right.... In the near future the Darrington ranger district was going to be applying for funding for projects one of which would be a new bridge for Milk creek. Letters to the forest service would be really, really, REALLY be helpful in supporting the rational for the funding. (My words, but the ranger asked me to write a letter and get anyone I know to write a letter). I think she said letters were needed soon, like asap. So now is the time to let your opinion be known and be part of the process of getting access to Milk creek. It sure would be amazing to be able to hike that drainage again.... (and have faster access to that area of Glacier Peak). Letters or email should be addressed to Peter Forbes, Darrington Ranger District. I think there is a way you can respond using their website. I know there are lots of people that would like access, now is your chance to help make that happen by writing a letter/email giving the forest service your support!!! Yea !
Might also make sense to write your Congressperson and Senators. This project would also benefit the Darrington area economy.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
In the near future the Darrington ranger district was going to be applying for funding for projects one of which would be a new bridge for Milk creek. Letters to the forest service would be really, really, REALLY be helpful in supporting the rational for the funding. (My words, but the ranger asked me to write a letter and get anyone I know to write a letter). I think she said letters were needed soon, like asap.
First let me say I am in favor of this project, putting a bridge across the Suiattle River and reopening the Milk Creek Trail. There are a few reasons for this but the main one is that it enables easier maintenance of certain trail sections which now is difficult. Having said that, I have to wonder how close this actually is to coming to fruition. I have heard similar from people for the past several years, people that were in a position to know. And yet nothing official has ever been announced. Obviously I do not have a good handle on how stuff like this gets done. I have heard similar things about other needed projects, like reopening the Dosewallips road to the Dose Campground. And then when I inquire to other people, who are similarly positioned to know, I am told no way it is going to happen. And it hasn't been a simply a lack of funding holding these things up according to others. Anyway if it would help, I am willing to write something in favor. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RodF

RodF
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 6:57 pm 
Here is the project website: Milk Creek Trail Connection This project proposes to replace a bridge crossing the Suiattle River, reconnecting Milk Creek Trail and providing access to the Pacific Crest Trail. Comments may still be submitted to: Peter Forbes, Darrington Ranger District, 1405 Emens Avenue North , Darrington, WA, 98241 The scoping letter suggested the decision would be made a year ago in July 2017. Many of us commented in support of this a year ago. Those who didn't now have a last opportunity to support their grant application, so please do! up.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:51 pm 
Quick question to you Rod, what type of bridge is being planned? I was told four years ago that they only planned to put up a single stringer foot-log. But that would exclude stock use unless there is a stock ford of which I am not aware. I would hope there was a stock bridge because that would be good both recreationally and for trail maintenance. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RodF

RodF
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 am 
sorry, I don't know what the final plan is.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm 
A footlog over the Suiattle River - I don't think that's even possible is it? doesn't sound like something the Darrington District would try at that location, given the dynamic nature of the river and the width of the channel. If they could find a log that long. But as always, I reserve the right to be full of sh## and/or to forget something I once knew (on another discussion of this bridge saga, I made a declaration and was proven wrong when someone quoted me on yet another discussion of this bridge site embarassedlaugh.gif ).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
contour5

contour5
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 11:48 am 
Maybe a catapult, with a big landing net on the other side...

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 2:38 pm 
It was my impression from visiting with the ranger, that the bridge would allow stock access. Just my impression though.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 4:09 pm 
The old bridge was a stock bridge. Problem as I see it is area that floods is huge so suspension bridge like Canyon Creek would not work. A steel bridge like the Highland Creek fiasco would be great. A log would be too long and dangerous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm 
Something like the bridge over the mid fork Snoqualmie, maybe. It can't have a piling in the river channel because the river is Wild & Scenic at that location. But it's close to that line though... So they could put it upstream beyond that designation and put pilings in. Reroute the trail to it. Hmmm...This sounds familiar. I wonder if it's one if those things I forgot I know. suuure.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
A footlog over the Suiattle River - I don't think that's even possible is it?
I am only relaying what I was told. I would not care to name the person who told me but only that they were in a position to know. I was told the log had already been found. That was four years ago, possibly five years. Obviously not current information. Rumi

George Winters

George Winters
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 am 
The plan is for a bridge that can handle stock. The resumption of stock access to that part of the PCT would greatly facilitate maintenance on the PCT.

When you are "miles from nowhere" you must have finally arrived at somewhere.
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:35 am 
^^ - This, raised to the power of 10. The Milk Creek area of the PCT (Halfmile 2522.10) is about as difficult access as it gets. It's about 38.4 trail miles from the North Fork Sauk (half mile 2499.99) to the Suiattle (Halfmile 2538.35) Access Points. Hike in via the Suiattle - ~7 miles to the PCT, then another 16.3 to Milk Creek for a total of 23.3 miles. Hike in via the North Fork Sauk - ~8 miles to the PCT, then another 22.1 to Milk Creek for a total of 30.1 miles. Either way, it's a solid 2 days to get there carrying tools, helmets, work boots, etc. Compare and contrast with a rebuilt Milk Creek Trail bridge over the Suiattle - about 7 miles and change to the PCT, an easy 1 day hike in (or round trip for the pack support to drop off a base camp at Milk Creek).

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 3:05 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
The Milk Creek area of the PCT (Halfmile 2522.10) is about as difficult access as it gets.
As far as I am concerned, that part of the trail is in poor shape because of that. I was there four or five years ago and can tell you it was not just brushy, but the tread in much f that area was terrible. All those switchbacks climbing out of Milk Creak going north were so bad it is hard to imagine a horse being safe on it going either up or down. I stumbled several places hiking it. And the tread on some of the high places is so narrow and cupped it was hard on the ankles, which encouraged many to not walk in the tread. Just my opinion based on my experience from about five years ago. I joked that at that point PCT stood for Pretty Crappy Trail. Rumi