Forum Index > Trail Talk > Panoroma point via skyline trail, Mount Rainer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Naga5583
Intermediate Mountai

Naga5583
Intermediate Mountai
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 9:27 pm 
Hello friends , I am planning to go to Panoroma point Sept 3rd Monday.Weather seems to be sunny with some patches of clouds.Expecting to have good views .Any suggestions would be appreciated .I have no plans of going to camp muir but thinking to hike to certain distance beyond Panorama point just to get the hang of it .Ofcourse this plan depends on at what time i would reach panorama point . My hiking history I have summitted Mount SI,Granite Mountian,East peak,Dinker Man at max of 3:30 to 4 hrs and descending down ,it takes roughly 2 hrs .I have hiked at max of 8.6 miles till now in a single day with a backpack weight of 10 pounds . 1) Any specific essential things i need to keep in mind other than some 5 lts of water and some food , hiking poles ,gaiters ,jackets. 2) How much time ideally it would take to sumit up and down 3) Are crampons mandatory for camp muir , if i want to proceed 4) For GPS , i have all trail maps in my adroid phone .i think that should be good enough.I am thinking the trail should be well marked 5) I have ordered my annual American beautiful pass but it's not yet arrived .I should be able to get one day pass at the entrance ?I am planning to reach mount rainer national park by 8 .Hopefully it would be open and i can get pass Any other things , i should keep in mind .Please let me know

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 10:31 pm 
Have you checked the Mt Rainier weather report? National Weather Service Seattle WA 222 PM PDT Sat Sep 1 2018 .SYNOPSIS...Northwest flow aloft will maintain onshore flow through Monday. Expect patchy morning clouds near the base of the mountain Sunday morning, otherwise partly sunny skies and dry. A weak system will brush Western Washington on Monday, with a few showers over the Cascades north of Mount Rainier. Dry and warmer weather develops Tuesday through Thursday. A trough arrives around Friday with unsettled weather possible. && .SATURDAY NIGHT...Mostly clear. Freezing level near 11000 feet. .SUNDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 11500 feet. .SUNDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Freezing level near 12500 feet. No, the trail to Camp Muir is not marked--except by the tracks of numerous hikers and skiers. Crampons are not usually needed this time of year to Camp Muir. I think the park service should mark the route to Camp Muir with tall wands but I guess they don't want to entire the unwary to go to Muir. I can't recall ever carrying a 10--pound pack, even on easy hikes--since I like to carry plenty of water, a first aid kit, and extra clothing, especially warm clothing. My pack--even for a day hike--is about 20-30 pounds. I also always carry a bivy bag. I'd also suggest really dark sunglasses and plenty of sunblock to protect your skin. Good luck to you!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 4:12 am 
Make sure to bring a compass and to pick up a "Muir Map" from the Jackson vistor center. If you google Camp-Muir-Route-with-Get-Your-Bearings-map-Jan18 you'll find the PDF online. This map is very helpful for navigating back down in the fog. There is a maintained trail to "Pebble Creek" at about 7200 feet elevation. At that point there is a steep snow bank maybe 100 ft high that you need to clamber up to gain the Muir snowfield. Beyond that point the snowfield is relatively gentle and also featureless. Dozens of people have died in poor weather above this point. Navigating in the fog is hard on such a vast snowfield. So watch the weather closely as you ascend and be prepared to turn around and head down quickly should clouds start moving in. Watch the top of the mountain for a cloud cap forming and growing downward and also look behind you for clouds moving in from the south. Once bad weather moves in travel can be difficult or impossible. Fog is the most common issue, many people have disappeared and never been found -- falling over a cliff or into a crevice-- the fog can be so thick you can't see your feet or your hand and some people get dizzy and disoriented. Wind can also be an issue if weather moves in -- people have been stranded by high winds and succumbed to hypothermia , there is no shelter on the featureless snowfield. I've personally experienced 70mph winds on the snowfield and that was bad enough, but winds exceeding 150mph have been recorded by the weather station 2nd degree sunburns (blistered skin) are possible on the snowfield. A hat with brim and bandana or other cloth to drape over ears and neck are commonly used. Lightweight long sleeved shirt and long pants are recommended. Panorama Point itself is very worthwhile objective-- the view looking south is stupendous in clear weather and is the source of it's name. Looping the Skyline trail and coming back via Mazama ridge is one of my favorites. Stopping the Stevens/ Van Trump memorial and sitting in "Sluiskin's chair" and watching the mountain for a bit is nice.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 am 
Naga5583 wrote:
Hello friends , I am planning to go to Panoroma point tomorrow .Any suggestions would be appreciated... 1) Any specific essential things i need to keep in mind other than some 5 lts of water and some food , hiking poles ,gaiters ,jackets. 2) How much time ideally it would take to sumit up and down 3) Are crampons mandatory for camp muir , if i want to proceed 4) For GPS , i have all trail maps in my adroid phone .i think that should be good enough.I am thinking the trail should be well marked 5) I have ordered my annual American beautiful pass but it's not yet arrived .I should be able to get one day pass at the entrance ?I am planning to reach mount rainer national park by 8 .Hopefully it would be open and i can get pass Any other things , i should keep in mind .Please let me know
1) Sunscreen, and use it. On your ears, in your ears, on your cheeks, on your nose, under your nose, especially if you go above the snow line. 5L water is a bit much, you can fill up at Pebble Creek, although it's recommended not to do so. The water is clear and cold, but as there are so many people hiking that trail, if you do, put some filtration or water treatment to good use. My nephew drank his fill there a few years ago, and suffered no ill effects, so I don't know. 2) Time to panorama point? I don't know, depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I usually take 2-3 hours to stop and look around, etc. To Camp Muir, maybe double that. 3) Crampons are not necessary, although on the final push to Muir, and at a few places up the snowfield, you'll likely "slip 'n slide" a lot if the snow is soft. For a snow field, it's kinda steep. 4) Get a map and a compass and know how to read them! If it's a perfectly clear day, you'll *probably* not lose your way. Probably not. If it's cloudy down low (often) you turn around and look at the scenery behind you often. Look and study well, it as that's what you'll be watching on your way down and don't forget what the trail looks like at various points. Yeah, the trails are marked and well defined up to the snow line, then you're on your own. Although most often the trail is obvious....or not (and stay on the trail, don't cut corners, or go outside the marked trail boundaries). Use this map for reference: https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/Camp-Muir-Route-with-Get-Your-Bearings-map-Jan18.pdf 5) You can get another "Senior Pass" at the ranger's shack at the entrance. It'll cost another $10 (or however much they are now), but that's WELL worth it. I've bought 3 of 'em (one for each vehicle I think I may be in when I go up there) because I think they're so ridiculously low priced. And as Nordique said: "I'd also suggest really dark sunglasses...", absolutely!! and not just any glasses, be sure they are either "glacier glasses" or they wrap around your head a bit so your side vision isn't being blinded by light (and the UV that is in there also). Snowblindness HURTS! And RandyHiker also made excellent points, read his response as well. Now, having said all that, really it's a good hike, go and enjoy your day! There is lots to see. If you're not accustomed to such a workout, don't press it. Take it easy.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 pm 
Also be prepared to be affected by altitude. Since it appears you've never been higher than 5-6,000 feet, you might find it interesting to see how altitude affects you. Monitor how you're feeling and turn around if you start feeling really lousy. You can always still manage a full day by continuing east on the Skyline Trail and finishing the loop (will be crowded but it's gorgeous). If you want to go to Panorama Point (a scenic rest stop) follow signs to Panorama Point rather than Pebble Creek at a trail junction about 6500 ft. Once at Pan Pt, head due north to pick up the Pebble Creek trail.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 pm 
Gain the Muir snowfield!!!